Just one database timed out on the server?

• Hey guys, I got this interesting error over the weekend, where just one database on the server timed out for 10 seconds. No other errors could be seeing from sp_readerrorlog, so I'm not entirely certain how to approach this. Any tips?

• what do you mean by timed out? Databases don't time out, calls to the database do. What was the actual message in the errorlog?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• The message was "The mirroring connection to "TCP://servername.domain:port" has timed out for database after 10 seconds without response.

• is this the only database mirrored on the server. It could have been caused by a lot of things, network glitch, slow network, mirrored server rebooted.

the important thing is did it reconnect and re-establish mirroring?

the timeout value can be altered with this command

alter database yourdb set partner timeout newvalueinsecs --default is 10

• This is not the only database on the server, which is what's weird to me. Mirror failover threshold is set to 10 seconds for all databases, so we know that settings are not any different.

• then I would say that database was just busier than the others in terms of throughput. Was a reindex running at the time perhaps?

There are limits to how many databases can be mirrored on a server, particularly if 32bit. Thats a possibility particularly if you see any memory pressure related messages on the mirror server.

• Blocked processes or resource contention on that one database. That's all it takes.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• DVSQL (3/17/2014)

Hey guys, I got this interesting error over the weekend, where just one database on the server timed out for 10 seconds. No other errors could be seeing from sp_readerrorlog, so I'm not entirely certain how to approach this. Any tips?

Did the failover happen automatically ? Or was the DB mirroring setup for manual failover ? Did you find any unexpected behavior in the Mirroring \ did it affect the business ?

--

SQLBuddy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply