Jump In

• chrisn-585491 (7/27/2015)

The SQL Server community has been the main reason I haven't gone totally to over to OSS with database development. Think about that. (The fact that C# and F# rock is also a factor.)

If it weren't for SSC, user groups, blogs, Midnight DBAs, Brent, Buck and the rest of the gang, I'd probably be coding Python and Postgres in some Linux backroom for some dubious startup.

There isn't any commercial software community like SQL Server community. And almost all OSS communities aren't as well organized.

+1 for this. I went to my first SQL Saturday in Dublin in 2012 and haven't looked back, have gotten certified, went to more Relays and Bits, the whole shebang. And just a huge thank you to all the people who monitor the #SQLHelp / #SQLFamily tags on Twitter these people are nothing short of awesome in helping each other solve our day-to-day sql problems.

And before I forget also SSC, it's easy to take this site for granted! Thanks Steve & Andy W!

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]
  • This is an awesome site and truly great community. The thing I think I enjoy most is the discussion that evolves from the original question. Many times, there's more than one way to skin a proverbial cat. Some ways are more efficient than others and they come out in the discussion. Many sites just expect a one-line answer and debate and discussion are discouraged or simply taken down with no notice. I use only one SQL Server forum site - this one.

I've attended several SQL Saturdays and they're interesting, educational and even fun. It speaks to the generosity and sharing attitude of the larger community as a whole. Personally, I think it's the best product-based community in the world and I'm humbled to be a part of it.

• This site is unique. What makes it unique is that people, more often than not, allow for differing viewpoints in a discussion in order to see where that discussion will take us all.

Thanks all.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply