JSON: why not a JSON data type (like XML has)?

• I was just curious, is there a reason there is not a JSON data type?

XML has an XML data type... why not have that for JSON as well?

*I was hoping someone had read a blog or seen a talk about this, I tried to search but it was difficult to get the desired hits on Google.

Thanks!

• Maxer - Wednesday, October 4, 2017 8:29 AM

I was just curious, is there a reason there is not a JSON data type?

XML has an XML data type... why not have that for JSON as well?

*I was hoping someone had read a blog or seen a talk about this, I tried to search but it was difficult to get the desired hits on Google.

Thanks!

Because...

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/jocapc/2015/05/16/json-support-in-sql-server-2016/

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Although I'll admit, maybe it is a bit odd, but it is easy to add a constraint on a JSON column:
    --Create sample table
    CREATE TABLE SampleJson (JsonString varchar(max));
    GO
    --Add Constraint
    ALTER TABLE SampleJson ADD CONSTRAINT ValidJson CHECK (ISJSON(JsonString) > 0);
    GO
    --This will fail
    INSERT INTO SampleJson
    VALUES ('test');
    GO
    --This will work
    INSERT INTO SampleJson
    VALUES (
    '{
        "a":"[1,2]",
        "b":"[3,4]",
        "c":"[5,6]"
    }');
    GO
    --Clean up
    DROP TABLE SampleJson;
    GO

I can't say I've seen much (any) discussion on the subject though. I have no use for JSON in the "real world" so I've not really kept an eye on discussions on it.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• I think the adoption of the XML type was really low. For the reasons in the blog, lots of people kept XML in nvarchar/varchar columns, and just used some of the functions to query them. I think this is better, rather than investing in a native type, see what the uptake is. They can always add it later.

• Ah ok that all makes a lot of sense (all the replies) thanks!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply