Joke tellers convention - a suggestion or query

• A comedian named Ted invites his friend Bill to the annual joke tellers dinner.  At the dinner Bill is perplexed by lack of much dialog, while members are to taking turns standing and saying numbers like "57", "325", "622", to which the crowd responds with laughter. 

Finally, Bill turns to his friend and asks, "What's so funny about the numbers?"

Ted replies, "Well, you see, we all know all the jokes, so to save the time it takes to retell them, we've numbered them."

Bill asks, "OK if I give it a try?"  Ted nods, and so at the next pause Bill stands up and says, "823."

There's silence interrupted by a few nervous coughs, and Bill finally sits and turns to Ted with a bewildered look on his face.  Ted says, "I guess some people just don't know how to tell a joke."

------

OK, we keep seeing many of the same questions posed here over and over again on these forums.  Shouldn't there be a FAQ stickied to the top of the forums containing each of these common questions with the to-date best/simplest solution/redirection?  Add to it as new ones are repeated... etc.

That way we can simplify the replies as, "RTFFAQ#23".

(And maybe a discussion thread gets posted with each for proposed better answers?)

-----

OK, I'll sit down now...

P.S. there's another ending to that joke:

...Bill stands up and says, "13,345".  The room errupts in laughter, people are falling out of their chairs and the din is deafening.  Bill looks down at his friend who's rolling in the aisle and asks, "What's up with the response?"

Ted, gasping and wiping the tears from his eyes replies, "That was incredible! We've never heard that one before!"

• Hello, John:

I for one think that's a great idea.  BUT experience with human nature tells me it ultimately would not work because nobody wants to read user manuals or ask for directions.  Most newbies will probobaly dive right in (yes, ok, like I did ) without reading a single FAQ.  I personally would like to see something added to the registration email we receive when we first join the forum, in big bold letters, right at the top, something like "Please DO NOT make multiple posts.  ONCE is SUFFICIENT - it's guaranteed to be seen!!". 

Just my twocentsworth...  Linda

PS  I like the jokes.  Maybe a SQL Server Joke section would take off...

• I'm just thinking to save the responders time: RTFFAQ is quicker to type.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply