Joining Tables in SQL Server Express

• With reporting services all you'll need on the client PCs is a web browser.

A small word of warning. SQL express is the free, low end edition of SQL Server. It's not optimised for large numbers of concurrent connections

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • The most concurrent connections will be 25, most of the time just 2 or 3. Do you think 25 be a problem?

By the way, I can find the Report Manager, but so far I haven't found a Report Designer? Is that another download?

Thanks,

Gary

• Gary -

Do you have SSMS for SQL Express? If you do - if the Database is set up to be attached at all times, you should see the DB in the list (like on a "regular" version of SQL Server).

If you do NOT see your database there, then look in your App_data folder for the MDF. create a good spot for it somewhere ELSE than app_data (outside of the site/project structure), then use SSMSE to attach the database (you will need to adjust the locations to show where you moved the data and log files to). Once attached - right-click on the database and double-check that the options don't have Auto-Close or Auto-Shrink set to ON.

You can get SSMSE from the Download center if you don't already have it:

SSMS Express Edition

Once you set up this database this way - use the "server Explorer" In Visual Studio to set up an updated connection to the database not using the user instance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I think it's a seperate download. Been a while since I played with Express.

As for the connections, not sure.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • The SSRS designer is called BIDS (Business Intelligence Designer Studio), which is a limited version of Visual Studio (if you don't already have it installed). If you have a compatible version of Visual Studio, it will add new project types in there for creating BI Report Server projects.

If none of this sounds familiar -

Do you have a service called SQL Server Reporting Services on your machine? If you don't, then you have installed the "old" version of SQL Server Express, without Reporting Services. There's a version without, and there's a version WITH. the "with" version is found here:

SQL Server Express with Advanced Services

This includes SSMS-EE and a basic version of Reporting Services in addition to SQL Express.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I found an article Introducing Business Intelligence Development Studio, but no reference to a download.

I found Visual Studio.Net download dated 2003, but I'm not sure if that is what you're referring to.

Thanks,

Gary

• Download and install the "Advanced Services" version of SQL Server express, and you will see it included in the options for what you can install (in the client tools stuff). The link to it is in my previous post.

• I had previously loaded advanced edition, but I did it over my old non-advanced edition. So, I removed SQL Server, and loaded the advanced edition, selecting everything available.

I now see ReportServer$SQLExpress and ReportServer$SQLExpressDB under Databases.

When I select Microsoft SQL Server 2005, I have Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express and Configuration Tools. Under Configuration Tools I have Reporting Services Configuration along with 3 SQL Server selections.

I'm running Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express.

I still don't see where I can design a report.

Thanks,

Gary

• I finally got it loaded! It is a part of the ToolKit. I had already loaded Toolkit, but it told me that everying was already loaded, so I bailed out.

I tried again, this time telling it to up-grade, then it loaded Visual Studio tools.

I'll start tomorrow trying to figure out how to get a report.

Thanks for all your help!

Gary

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply