Joining a Table

• Hi gang ... Im a new DBA and this is my first time here. I have a bit of a delema.

I want to join a table that consists of transactions. The owner_id is what links the transaction to a particular person or contract. In the transaction table there is a field indicating 'type1' and 'type2'. Type 1 is a debt and 2 is a credit. What i would like to do is find out what the newest type1 is based on owner_id.

The problem is that when I ....

Join transactions

on contact.id = transactions.owner_id

I expect to get 16,000+ results .... I get over 500,000 and I know i only have 16000 clients. How the heck do I join a table and just pull out what I want ??? Thanks for any help.

• Rough guess based on your description. You'd be better off if you posted the DDL (that's the table definitions).

SELECT TOP1

From Table1 t1

INNER JOIN

Table2 t2

On

Table1.id = table2.id

Where type = 'type1'

ORDER BY t1.transactiondate DESC --This and the TOP 1 will get you the "most recent"

• Each client has multiple transactions, I'm assuming, so that's why you get more values.

You could select the types, but use the MAX( date), group by the owner_id, and that should help as well.

• The relationship between those two tables are many-to-many.

You can use select * from contact join (select max(owner_id) from transactions group by owner_id) b

on contact.id = b.owner_id

You can also check if there are any duplicated records using Group by function

riverswillbeer (11/2/2007)

Hi gang ... Im a new DBA and this is my first time here. I have a bit of a delema.

I want to join a table that consists of transactions. The owner_id is what links the transaction to a particular person or contract. In the transaction table there is a field indicating 'type1' and 'type2'. Type 1 is a debt and 2 is a credit. What i would like to do is find out what the newest type1 is based on owner_id.

The problem is that when I ....

Join transactions

on contact.id = transactions.owner_id

I expect to get 16,000+ results .... I get over 500,000 and I know i only have 16000 clients. How the heck do I join a table and just pull out what I want ??? Thanks for any help.

• Hi !,

hope this code will help u.

create table join1

(

IDINTIDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED,

Mydatesmalldatetime default(getdate())

)

GO

create table join2

(

IDINTIDENTITY(1, 1) PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED,

join1IDINT,

Productvarchar(100)

)

Go

Alter table join2

Add constraint fk_join1_t1 foreign key (join1ID)

references join1 (ID)

insertjoin1(Mydate)

SelectGETDATE() UNION

SelectGETDATE() UNION

SelectGETDATE() + 1 UNION

SelectGETDATE() + 2

INSERTjoin2(join1ID, Product)

SELECT1, 'A' UNION

SELECT1, 'B' UNION

SELECT1, 'C-MaxVal' UNION

SELECT2, 'A' UNION

SELECT2, 'B-MaxVal' UNION

SELECT3, 'D' UNION

SELECT3, 'R' UNION

SELECT3, 'T-MaxVal'

SELECTj1.ID, j2.*

FROMjoin1 J1

INNER JOIN

(

SELECT ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY join1ID ORDER BY ID DESC) ASRID, *

FROM join2

) J2 ON j1.ID = j2.join1ID AND j2.ASRID = 1

Regards,

Abhijit

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply