joining 2 selects where a value not in Values

• Ok, another question I have 2 queries where I select all accounts with bill code in 'bmonit' example ('12','39','124','1FA')

then I also have a Select where the same account might have additional services, that are not in example ('12','39','124','1FA') and for these accounts I need to just put a 'Y' if stop_date is null.

• If I understand your question correctly you need to do what is referred to as a Left Anti Join Semi Join.

There are a couple ways you can do this:

DECLARE @bmonit table(billcode varchar(10) not null);

DECLARE @table2 table(billcode varchar(10) not null, stop_date date null);

INSERT @bmonit VALUES ('12'),('39'),('124'),('1FA');

INSERT @table2 VALUES ('12','1/1/2009'),('39','1/1/2009'),('124','1/1/2009'),('1FA','1/1/2009'),('AAA',NULL);

-- Option 1: Using EXCEPT

SELECT billcode, 'Y' as xxx FROM @table2

WHERE stop_date IS NULL

EXCEPT

SELECT billcode, 'Y' FROM @bmonit

-- Option 2: Using NOT IN (this is the better option if you are not filtering out duplicates

SELECT billcode, 'Y' AS xxx

FROM @table2 t2

WHERE stop_date IS NULL

AND billcode NOT IN

(

SELECT billcode FROM @bmonit

);

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Alan.B (8/12/2014)

If I understand your question correctly you need to do what is referred to as a Left Anti Join Semi Join.

Not by me! Or anyone else, it seems. Try searching Google for "Left Anti Join Semi Join" and you'll get one hit - yours πŸ˜€

And very soon, presumably, two hits.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (8/13/2014)

Alan.B (8/12/2014)

If I understand your question correctly you need to do what is referred to as a Left Anti Join Semi Join.

Not by me! Or anyone else, it seems. Try searching Google for "Left Anti Join Semi Join" and you'll get one hit - yours πŸ˜€

And very soon, presumably, two hits.

Picky today Phil! πŸ˜›

It's a typo. Alan meant a left anti semi join.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Aha, OK - perhaps I should have considered that, thanks Chris. Sorry Alan.

I have reason to be picky - I'm building a WiX installer, so I'm in XML hell πŸ™‚

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply