Join vs. Function

• I have used functions to simplify code where multiple joins might be required. But I'm wondering what the impact on performance is if I use a function vs putting the join right in my initial sql code.

This is a very simple example, but which would be the preferred method to get the description.

SELECT co.co_num, coi.co_line, coi.item, i.description

FROM co co

LEFT JOIN coitem coi

ON coi.co_num = co.co_num

LEFT JOIN item i

ON i.item = coi.item

SELECT co.co_num, coi.co_line, coi.item, dbo.ItemDesc(coi.item)

FROM co co

LEFT JOIN coitem coi

Does the function cause additional sql calls to the db, or does sql build the join itself either way?

• in your example, you are using a SCALAR function, which will degrade performance, especially with large data sets.

you could change that same function to be an inline table valued function, which would then perform just as well as a left outer join.

the syntax to call an ITVF is a little different, adn might look like this:

SELECT co.co_num, coi.co_line, coi.item, myf.Description

FROM co co

LEFT JOIN coitem coi

CROSS APPLY dbo.ItemDesc(coi.item) myf

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks Lowell. I had never used a table valued function or APPLY. This makes sense and is a perfect fit for another project of mine.

mpv

• glad I could help a little bit; post your scalar function here if you need help converting it to an ILTV;

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• I do have a question about how the APPLY works. I have looked at some other sites but still don't quite understand how it joins the rows from the function to the left table if no ON clause is present. Does there need to be a common column name in each?

• it's kind of confusing, yeah.

no common data is required between the two.

I try to think of an ITVF the way UPPER() or ROW_NUMBER() function works: it's going to return something for every row i fiddle with...it's not really a join...it's just applied against my data.

Now based on the parameters that are passed, it's ging to return something, but that's a black box for this discussion...doesn't really matter.

I like to THINK that it's a join against the parameter column i passed, but technically, that's not correct, since i can have a function with no parameters.

I think it's more correct to say it's joined by the behind the scenes physical location.(SELECT %%physloc%%,* from YourTable)

Lowell

• Got it. I was forgetting the fact that I am able to pass a parm to the function, whereas that is not available when joining to a table.

In my first example, my description function returns a different description per row because I am passing i.item as a parm. Then it basically attaches the description (or any other columns returned by the function) to the item rows.

So what happens if the function returns multiple rows? Does the row from the left table get repeated for each row from the function?

If I have a function called Sizes() that might return Small, Medium and Large and I CROSS APPLY it to the Item table where item='Shirt', would I have three rows like the following?

Shirt,Small

Shirt,Medium

Shirt,Large

• yes, exactly...but don't take my word for it; play with this example i just slapped together: you get multiple rows back IF your function returns multipel rows:

CREATE Function AvailSizes(@ObjectName varchar(30))

returns table

AS

return

SELECT 'X-Small' As Size UNION ALL

SELECT 'Small' UNION ALL

SELECT 'Medium' UNION ALL

SELECT 'Large' UNION ALL

SELECT 'SX-Largemall'

GO

With myClothing(TheName)

AS

(

SELECT 'TShirt' UNION ALL

SELECT 'Jeans'

)

SELECT

myClothing.TheName,

myf.Size

FROM myClothing

CROSS APPLY dbo.AvailSizes(TheName) myf

Lowell

• Thanks for the help understanding table-valued-functions and APPLY. It is all clear to me now.

Yesterday, after you told me about the tvf, I created one with a parm as it fit perfectly with what I was trying to accomplish. It helped me get rows from an audit table for a specific email address so I could email them the results.

The function returns all unprocessed rows if I pass NULL, or I can pass a specific email address.

Your suggestion and help opened up more possibilities, and opportunities for code reuse and is immensely appreciated.

Thank You,

mpv

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply