Join of two tables of the different database.

• Is it any impact on the performance if we join the two tables of the different database. my current database size in 1.5 TB. Now I am creating the new table structure for my applicaton which will have large data in future. I want to create the new database. Is it will be good for performance prospects or we should create it in the same database. actually there is one questoin in my mind is that New table will be used at multiple place in the reports, in joins with old database large tables to select the data. what will be performance Impact in that case. Please suggest.

• Technically if it is on the same instance, it should not create a problem.

But is it only because of the size you are going for a new database? In that case you should introduce new filegroups and try partitioning.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Roshan Joe

Jeff Moden -Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Yes it is on the same Instance.

• As I mentioned since both databses are in same instance, the buffer pool is shared, there wont be impact in join performance.

But normally we split databases for security or functional reasons. For performance, you should try a different aproach like partitioning.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Roshan Joe

Jeff Moden -Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Thanks joeroshan.

• can you please suggest what are functional reason behind that ?

• nitin.varshney (10/9/2013)

can you please suggest what are functional reason behind that ?

See this http://architects.dzone.com/articles/20-database-design-best

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply