JOIN clauses in the JOIN vs in the WHERE

• I'm building a dynamic SQL statement based on form inputs. For the purposes of my code, I'd like to just put all the WHERE clauses together.

Is there any actual difference between saying:

SELECT Columns

FROM TableA

JOIN TableB ON SomeColumnA = SomeColumnB

AND SomeClauseFromTableB

WHERE SomeClauseFromTableA

and

SELECT Columns

FROM TableA

AND SomeClauseFromTableB

I realize that it makes more sense to put the clauses on Table B in the JOIN, but beyond that, is there any difference in the execution plan, query time, or the results?

• The statements mean different things when you are dealing with outer joins. You won't get the same records.

For example:

select *

from TableA

Left join TableB on SomeColumnA = SomeColumnB

AND SomeClauseFromTableB

Where SomeClauseFromTableA

is equivalent to

select *

from TableA

Left join (select * from TableB WHERE SomeClauseFromTableB) TB

ON SomeColumnA = SomeColumnB

Where SomeClauseFromTableA

but

SELECT Columns

FROM TableA

AND SomeClauseFromTableB

will eliminate rows from the "left" that don't match SomeClauseFromTableB

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Yeah, I know that for Outer Joins they will, for my purposes I'm only looking at Inner Joins though.

• The way I look at it is, the criteria for joining the tables belongs in the ON statement in the FROM CLAUSE and the filter criteria for the result set belongs in the WHERE clause.

• As far as inner joins, I haven't experienced a difference. The argument is that the ANSI Join syntax clearly seperates join logic from filter logic, and I can see that, I just prefer the other way, but I'm coming around..

As far as OUTER joins, it makes a difference..

CEWII

• What Lynn and Elliott said...:)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Perfect - that's what I figured, just wanted to make sure there wasn't any hidden workings going on behind the scenes that I didn't know about.

Personally, I always put the filters of the joins as part of the joins, just because it makes it easier for me to see which things are affecting which tables.

• Okay, another question on the same note:

Is there any difference between:

SELECT Columns

FROM TableB

JOIN TableA ON SomeColumnA = SomeColumnB

AND SomeClauseFromTableA

WHERE SomeClauseFromTableB

and

SELECT Columns

FROM TableA

AND SomeClauseFromTableB

• Inner JOIN is permutative, so there really is no difference between the 2.

The engine makes its own determination what the "base" table is, so it really doesn't matter which you put first.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply