job succeeds, step fails

• The job step records this message:

Executed as user: FREDSNET\sqlservice. Microsoft (R) SQL Server Execute Package Utility Version 9.00.3042.00 for 32-bit Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984-2005. All rights reserved. Started: 4:05:00 AM Error: 2009-05-04 04:05:02.06 Code: 0xC0048006 Source: ActiveX Script Task ActiveX Script Task Description: Retrieving the file name for a component failed with error code 0x03EFBD9C. End Error DTExec: The package execution returned DTSER_SUCCESS (0). Started: 4:05:00 AM Finished: 4:05:02 AM Elapsed: 1.203 seconds. The package executed successfully. The step succeeded.

NOTE: the ActiveX Script task fails. Then the package returns a success status. The job has an email task if the job fails - no email. How can one depend on this method of identifying failed jobs when we run 50 or so jobs every night? What is wrong with my job?

Any ideas?

• The last part of the error message actually states that the step succeeded too - it's just that there was an error in it.

Can you post the code for the ActiveX script? Maybe task 'success' is being set in there, regardless of the execution outcome.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• The sDestination file does not exist. The sSourceFile does not exist.

Function Main()

Dim oFSO

Dim sSourceFile

Dim sDestinationFile

Set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

sSourceFile = "\\memFS01\ftpdata\datawhse\DWF145.csv"

sDestinationFile = "G:\DataWarehouse\archive\DWF145_import.csv"

oFSO.MoveFile sSourceFile, sDestinationFile

' Clean Up

Set oFSO = Nothing

Main = DTSTaskExecResult_Success

End Function

• jnichols (5/12/2009)

Main = DTSTaskExecResult_Success

I think that might be your problem 😎

• When a line of code fails, the remainder of the code is not executed. That line is the same in all ActiveX scripts. If I tested for the presence of the sSourceFile and did not find it I could code:

If not FSO.FileExists(sSourceFile) then

Main - DTSTaskExecResult_Failure

end if

also

If FSO.FileExists(sDestinationFile) then

Main = DTSTaskExecResult_Failure

end if

These two IF statements are not supposed to be necessary because the FSo.CopyFile statement should and does fail if either of the conditions coded above are true. The Precedence Constraint prevents the next step from executing and should cause the package to fail if the ActiveX script does not return the DTSTaskExecResult_Success, which it should not be doing if the copy statement fails. And the message clearly states the only executable statement other than setting the FSO object to nothing in that script failed. ???????

• Please check the following task properties for your ActiveX script:

Fail Package on Failure

Force Execution Value - if true, what is Forced Execution Value

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Ah ha!

Under forced execution value:

ForcedExecutionValue = 0

ForcedExecutionValueType = Int32

ForceExecutionValue = False

Under Execution:

FailPackageOnFailure = False

FailParentOnFailure = False

MaximumErrorCount = 1

I think you have struck on something here. Shouldn't the FailPackageOnFailure be set to True and FailParentOnFailure set to True?

I'll do some research, but you seem to have knowledge that could short circuit my research efforts. Busy guy as I am sure you are as well. Thanks for the help.

• You are right - set Fail package on Failure to True and you should get the result you desire.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply