Job Schedular (2000 >> 2008)

• I am new to this forum so not sure if this is the right place to post this topic:

Let me explain my question in steps:

My hosting server: I have sql server 2008 installed.

My local web server: I have sql server 2000 installed.

Q1: Is it possible to setup a Job in Sql 2000 that can be than somehow imported to sql 2008?

Q2: Is it possible with sql 2008 to schedule an execution of an ASP or PHP or ASP.net file?

Actually I want my system to send an automated email to subscriber a day before his account expire. So I need to know how can I do it.

Thanks,

Zeeshan

• There is just not enough information to give a helpful answer. I'll try.

Q1. Import what, and to where? If you are asking if the job text itself, written in sql2000, can be deployed on a sql2008 box, it may be able to. Perhaps. There are a few changes in TSQL between those versions. But the hosting company likely doesn't allow you to schedule and run a job. If you are talking about importing data, this is a bigger problem if you are trying to pull data FROM sql2000 rather than push it TO sql2000.

Q2. Nope. SQL code does not normally execute a web based code page. The normal scenario is the web page, while processing a users request, will access the SQL server for data - not the other way around. You can do a lot in CLR on the SQL server, but the hosting company likely has that disabled and it is not available on sql2000.

Your solution will probably be something like a C# app or the like, which will run locally in your environment, connect to the hosting SQL server (if the host allows that), pulls some part of the data down, and sends the emails from your local mail server.

Course, this depends on a ton of things - like if your host allows off site connections to the SQL server and if you know C#. Really, you need to provide a lot more information on what you are trying to do before you can get useful help.

Jim

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply