Job Ownership: No object was found with the name "[sa]"....

• When I create a job it typically creates the job with my account as the owner, e.g. domain\login. The jobs fail regularly because SQL Server is unable to determine if my login ID has server access. This is stupid, and another typical problem I have run into for years. Anyway, since this occurs often, when I create a job I change the owner to SA so that SQL Server will run it without complaint. I have noticed lately though, that if I change this in SQL 2008, and select "sa" from the list of users, I get the message "No object was found with the name "[sa]", but objects with names containing "[sa]" were found. Select one or more names from this list of click Cancel to re-enter the name."

It presents a list of users, of which none contain the string "[sa]", except, low and behold, "[sa]". See attached image.

This seems to be the dumbest thing I have ever seen SQL Server do.

Anyone else ever run into this?

Thanks,

Chris

Learning something new on every visit to SSC. Hoping to pass it on to someone else.

• That is odd behavior. Have you disabled or modified the SA account in some way?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Could someone have renamed "sa" with a character in there? Something unprintable.

If not, can you pick this "sa" and will it work? Can you enter [sa] in the box?

• I can get this in SQLServer 2005 (with various different servers) if I go to a job in my Management Studio (version 9.00.4035.00), right click and select properties and click the ... box for Owner. Type sa in the object names to select and click OK. Gives message as above and list of so-called matching objects to select from - none match except sa of course!

Selecting Check Names gives the same result but I note that the result set for these two is limited to sys admins whilst selecting Browse button gives every user. This makes me wonder if it is also filtering on server role (sySAdmin) as well as name - I don't have any procesSAdmins.

• Very strange. I think that someone has messed with the SA account somehow. I haven't seen this reported anywhere.

You could do one of two things. Either you can create another account and set credentials there, use it only for this.

Or call MS.

• I am not aware of any changes to the SA account. The standard for it here is assign it a 50+ character complex PW and forget about it. No one actually logs in with it unless there is an emergency.

Thanks,

Chris

Learning something new on every visit to SSC. Hoping to pass it on to someone else.

• The same issue surfaced in my environment with SQL 2008 after restoring a database taken from SQL 2000. I already tried the ALTER USER WITH LOGIN command to attempt ro repair the suspect orphaned user but this did nothing to eliminate this problem. I'm not sure though if I have the correct syntax. Soory ot a DBA. Incidentally, this dilemma happens with every user I try to change Job Owners not just 'sa'.

Anyone figure this one out yet?

• Looks as though the SQL User Interface is messed up. I opened a Support Case with Microsoft. They confirmed a coding problem and subsequently filed two Bugs for UI changes in the Select Login dialog box.

In short, this appears to be normal behaviour....for now...;-)

• I am running into the same issue on a login other than "sa". After I'm told it's not found, I am then presented a list of objects containing the userid, and can select the one I want. Strange. I'm glad that Microsoft is working on it now.

• Hi,

the previous post was from 2012. Are you sure, you have the same error, an Microsoft will fix it soon?

Kind regards,

Andreas

• My issue sounds very similar to the original poster's issue. I don't know if it's exactly the same but it's very close.

• I can reproduce the same issue in SQL Server 2008 R2. Instance is:

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP2) - 10.50.4033.0 (X64)

Jul 9 2014 16:04:25

Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation

Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

Client:

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio10.50.4033.0

Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools10.50.4033.0

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)6.1.7601.17514

Microsoft MSXML3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0

Microsoft Internet Explorer9.10.9200.17377

Microsoft .NET Framework2.0.50727.5485

Operating System6.1.7601

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open SQL Server Agent job and in General page click (...)

2. Click Browse to look for the login and select it (click on the checkbox and then OK

3. Back in the Select Login window click OK

4. Throws the error "No object was found with the name "the login", but objects with names containing "the login" were found". Select the login from the list (checkbox) and click OK.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply