Job Activity Monitor SQL 2005

• Is there a way to increase the retention time in the Jobactivity monitor? I have some jobs that are running that are missing the information by the next morning because the retention is so short.

• Do you mean the history of the jobs? Or do you mean that a job failed at 3am, but succeeded at 6AM so it shows as successful? If the former, you can change the History log in the SQL Server Agent Properties sheet under the History tab. Just remember, that will expand the size of msdb. If the latter, I don't think so. It shows the current status of each job. If the last time it ran, it succeeded, that's all you'll see. You should set up alerts if you need to know when a job failed.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• We have jobs that run at seven AM. When I check the job history, it will show me how the job executed. Around 8:30 am that job history information is gone. I suspect that something is cleaning up the log. I am trying to reschedule that log cleanup to happen before 7:00 am, so I can see what happenned to my jobs passed 8:30am when I happen to come in later :).

• Have you tried looking at the history tab in the SQL Server Agent properties? This may be clearing some of the history information out.

Nuke the site from orbit, its the only way to be sure... :w00t:

• If the history is getting cleaned up, it's from that properties page I mentioned. There is a way of removing history. It sounds like you might have a bit of an aggressive cleanup schedule.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• The only thing that I see listed in the History section is this:

Current job history size (in Rows)

Limit size of job history log (This is selected)

Maxium job history log size(in Rows): 1000

Maxium job history rows per job : 100

Automatically remove agent history and (that is not selected)

This is all I have to choose from. What do I need to change to find the results that I am looking for?

• If you have a lot of jobs running you will want to increase this: Maximum job history log size(in Rows): to something more that 1000 rows.

• You mentioned a job that changes it's status between the time it ran and the time you looked at it. Did it run again during that time period? That's the only way I see things change in the Job Activity Monitor. Otherwise, I've got errors on jobs that are months old because the job was never rerun (test machine, prod doesn't look like that). The only thing that changes the status there is when the job runs again. If I want to know more I look at history. If history is getting flushed, then job must be running more than 100 times between the time you're interested in and the time you're looking at it. That's the best I've got.

Unless you've got a seperate process cleaning out the msdb?

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Ok, Thanks again for all your info.

• One other thing you might look at. The Activity Monitor has a "filter settings" that might be filtering out the info that you expect to see. You should check that to be sure you're not limiting your view.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Do you happen to know how I get to the filtering settings. I just tried to find it and I do not see it anywhere.

• When you have the Job Activity Monitor window open, it's on the left in the Status field under a link labeled "View filter settings" and you can also get to that window by clicking on the button on the toolbar above labeled "Filter..."

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• I am not sure if my last post went through because I do not see it but I was wondering if you can tell me how to get to the filter settings that you are referring to? I looked and I do not see an option for that.

• Got it sorry.....

Thanks again

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply