I've just been given my first SQL job at work :) Now I need some advice :O

• After volunteering for some SQL work, a manager has decided to give me three projects to work on. The good news is that they are SQL related, the bad news is that it will be MySQL and PHP--as I'd rather work on SQL Server.

I only know it will deal with creating a database with a web page to take file uploads, keep a log of course, and most likely email verifications. Before I go in to talk to my manager I'd like some advice on what to ask for. When you are given a brand new fresh project at work how do you go about talking to the person and getting all of the information you need? Do you have a checklist? Maybe you have a link to offer for new DB administration and creation. I'd like to get as much information as possible up front, but I don't know all of the questions to ask.

• Your boss will give information about the project usually including who is the user and the project requirement. I will not worry about it until I see the project requirement.

Don't be disappinted. Even you are not working on SQL Server this time, you will have your change later on. Besides learning MySQL and PHP is good too. You just have one more skill to put in your resume.

• I agree that your boss should give you requirements.

From there I'd search the web for similar apps using MySQL and then see about modifying them,borrowing code, etc.

If you have requirements, we can help with how we'd build the database, but there might be differences with MySQL, so be sure you run advice by a MySQL person/forum to see if it will cause issues.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply