I've got burned by SQL Server 2008 CTP6

• SQL Server 2008 CTP6 does not work on 29 February

I've been busy preparing my presentation for tomorrow's SQL Bits event (Birmingham, UK). I wanted to run through quickly my demo scripts on a laptop on which I had CTP 6 installed for a week, and have used it for presentations twice already.

SQL Server 2008 does not start!!! Hmm, maybe it is the screen capturing software I've been asked to install. No problem, I've taken another laptop, installed SQL Server 2008 on it. Hmm, the install fails, same error? This is a new opsystem install?

After wasting 3 hours, I've checked the buglist of SQL Server 2008 CTP6. Apparently SQL Server takes a day off on 29th of February 2008 (well, I had to work).

Changing the date to 1st March fixed the issue. But I now have less hair!

For more details see:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=330614

Sorry for the rant, tomorrow things should be back to normal 🙂

Regards,

Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
    GoldenGate Software

• Andras - I've been beating my head against the wall all morning trying to figure this out. Thanks for the post - at least I'm not going crazy 😀

• Confirmed and I have a final note from MS:

===

We have recently discovered an issue with SQL Server 2008 CTPs that result

in SQL Server 2008 not starting or installing on Feb 29 GMT only. We

recommend that you do not run, install or upgrade this CTP on Feb 29 GMT to

minimize any impact in your environment. You can install starting on March 1

GMT. If you have an immediate issue that cannot wait until march 1st GMT

contact csskat@microsoft.com before taking any further steps.

==

So we get a day off.

Or not, I have some testing to do that will have to wait until tomorrow since my VM is down 🙁

• Steve Jones - Editor (2/29/2008)

Confirmed and I have a final note from MS:

===

We have recently discovered an issue with SQL Server 2008 CTPs that result

in SQL Server 2008 not starting or installing on Feb 29 GMT only. We

recommend that you do not run, install or upgrade this CTP on Feb 29 GMT to

minimize any impact in your environment. You can install starting on March 1

GMT. If you have an immediate issue that cannot wait until march 1st GMT

contact csskat@microsoft.com before taking any further steps.

==

So we get a day off.

Or not, I have some testing to do that will have to wait until tomorrow since my VM is down 🙁

If you change the date to 1 March, you will be able to use it :). Also, if your machine and SQL Server has not been switched on on 29 February, it seems to continue working. The problem seems to occur only if you switch your machine on on 29 February 🙂

Andras

GoldenGate Software

• CLASSIC !

Personal Motto: Why push the envelope when you can just open it?

If you follow the direction given HERE[/url] you'll likely increase the number and quality of responses you get to your question.

Jason L. Selburg
  • If installed prior to 02/29, any ideas wether or not services will come back online after 03/01 or are we looking at a reinstall?

• Tommy Bollhofer (2/29/2008)

If installed prior to 02/29, any ideas wether or not services will come back online after 03/01 or are we looking at a reinstall?

One of my installations was pre 2/29 and changing the date got rid of all the problems (fingers crossed )

I think the ones that were installed on 2/29 have to be reinstalled.

Andras

GoldenGate Software

• Fingers crossed, thanks Andras 🙂

• .... Can I have the last 12 hours of my life back please 🙂

• I was actually at a Microsoft Office on 2/29, and could not get an SQL Server instance started...

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply