It's Official

• If you didn't watch the Steve Ballmer keynote yesterday, you can grab it today and view it.

I couldn't view the video or demos, but I saw the presentation and dropped into the chat a few times. It wasn't a great loss for me since I'm not thrilled with Ballmer as a speaker, but it was THE SQL Server event of this year.

There were lots of statistics, but one nice one: Enterprise Market Unit Share: 406k SQL Server to 245k for Oracle to 72k for DB2. MySQL isn't listed, so I'm guessing it's not considered enterprise yet, which is probably true in most companies so far. And it doesn't count the 1000 user Oracle systems as being larger than the 3 user SQL Server apps, but it's nice to see SQL Server being #1 in one area 🙂

The demos sounded very similar to those that I saw at TechEd and the PASS Community Summit, and anyway, they're very rehearsed and very tightly bound. But they are also to many things that I've done in the past, so there is some things you might use. The issues are that things are never as simple as the demos show, so don't be too deceived.

One more interesting statistic was that a Linux e-commerce site takes 69% more admin time, whatever that means. I think that's probably low for someone like me, but for the guys at Google, it's probably way less. That's one of those numbers that has so many variables that it's almost meaningless. What I take from it is that if you're a Windows guy, stick with Windows. Otherwise you'll probably spend much more time getting things working and keeping them working. And if you're a Linux guy or gal, then you'll probably use that just because of the statistic.

And complain about it on Slashdot

Steve Jones

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

Come to join the fun game with us at

>>>> ufabet

• This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

Come join to play fun games with us.

>>> slot joker

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply