It's More Than What You Know

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item It's More Than What You Know

MVDBA

• "Do not be afraid to ask questions"

I think this also applies to: Do not be afraid to post your anwers and solutions here on the forum.

Even if it is not the best solution, someone will most likely tell you so and that will allow you to learn something.

• ktflash wrote:

"Do not be afraid to ask questions"

I think this also applies to: Do not be afraid to post your anwers and solutions here on the forum.

Even if it is not the best solution, someone will most likely tell you so and that will allow you to learn something.

Exactly and well said.  And if someone keeps in mind that there will almost always be...

1. More than one correct answer...
    2. A better answer...
    3. Follow up questions and answers...
    4. And a love for performance... (after accuracy, of course!)

... then, oh my!  The things we can learn from each other.  I can't think of any place else to get such a huge cross section of different real life problems and the same problems in different scenarios anywhere else in the world than on a good SQL Server Forum and, because discussions are not only allowed on SQLServerCentral but encouraged, it's amazing what some people will come up with on this site.

And, no... I have no affiliation with RedGate nor SQLServerCentral other than being a sometimes-author and frequent poster.

Mike, spot on article and I had no idea that such a thing as "Blendology" existed.  What an incredible idea.  It just goes to show what others can learn when you write and article or join in the discussion on a thread on one of the forums.

And thank you for the very kind mention.  I'm humbled.  Not sure I'll ever be able to make it across the pond but there's a huge number of people that I'd both like to meet up with again and people I've not yet met in person but, thanks to these fine forums, have had the privilege of "talking" and "working" with, including yourself.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• steve put the blendology link in for me, (he's good like that)

also agree with ktflash, don't be afraid to put your solution in... i'm often wrong and never afraid to admit it. but i learn every  time i try and help

MVDBA

• oh jeff, just for fun.. I already met steve, grant, kendra, itzig - i'm stalking you next 🙂 lol - that puts you just above brent ozar

MVDBA

• Shoot... I'm just happy to be on someone's list. 😀 😀 😀

I meet Steve and Grant before they knew how to spell RedGate.  I don't remember exactly but it was well before the Summit of 2010.  Met Kendra at that event and have met Brent at both an SQL Saturday and when he came to Detroit to present to our PASS chapter.  I've not yet met Itzik in person and, obviously, haven't met you yet.  I've also met some of the other denizens of this fine forum.  Eirikur Eiriksson and Chris Morris each came across the pond and I got to see them both on separate occasions (totally awesome visits, I may add!).  There have been several others in the States that I've also met, mostly at SQL Saturdays.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Shoot... I'm just happy to be on someone's list. 😀 😀 😀

I meet Steve and Grant before they knew how to spell RedGate.  I don't remember exactly but it was well before the Summit of 2010.  Met Kendra at that event and have met Brent at both an SQL Saturday and when he came to Detroit to present to our PASS chapter.  I've not yet met Itzik in person and, obviously, haven't met you yet.  I've also met some of the other denizens of this fine forum.  Eirikur Eiriksson and Chris Morris each came across the pond and I got to see them both on separate occasions (totally awesome visits, I may add!).  There have been several others in the States that I've also met, mostly at SQL Saturdays.

if you meet itzik, just ask him to pronounce "varchar" - it has a k in the middle, but his wife is an absolute darling.

if you have 5 minutes to give me some advice, i'm looking to set up a PASS chapter in my local area.. looking for pointers

MVDBA

• MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Shoot... I'm just happy to be on someone's list. 😀 😀 😀

if you meet itzik, just ask him to pronounce "varchar" - it has a k in the middle, but his wife is an absolute darling.

if you have 5 minutes to give me some advice, i'm looking to set up a PASS chapter in my local area.. looking for pointers

Heh... I've heard him speak on some "'tubes" and I definitely picked up on the "k" there.

Shifting gears to the PASS chapter thing, PM me and I'll give you my private email so we can converse on the subject.  To whet your whistle, we've been operating on a budget of precisely zero dollars for more than two years and with good success.  We're getting ready to change that a bit but I'll explain in the emails to come.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Exactly and well said.  And if someone keeps in mind that there will almost always be...

2.A better answer...

Especially with my code :-/

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• David Burrows wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

2.A better answer...

Especially with my code :-/

Heh... so say we all about our own. 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply