IT Transparency

• Sounds somewhat like SCRUM

The Scrum Development Process

Scrum is an agile process for developing software. With Scrum, projects progress via a series of month-long iterations called sprints.

Scrum is ideally suited for projects with rapidly changing or highly emergent requirements. The work to be done on a Scrum project is listed in the Product Backlog, which is a list of all desired changes to the product. At the start of each sprint a Sprint Planning Meeting is held during which the Product Owner prioritizes the Product Backlog and the Scrum Team selects the tasks they can complete during the coming Sprint. These tasks are then moved from the Product Backlog to the Sprint Backlog.

Each day during the sprint conducts a brief daily meeting called the Daily Scrum, which helps the team stay on track.

At the end of each sprint the team demonstrates the completed functionality at a Sprint Review Meeting.

http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/scrum

SQLServerNewbieMCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005
  • I like Scrum and find it to be a useful and usable approach, at least for small teams where I've used it.

• Scrum is one of the things our CTO implemented on one of my projects (programming team size is 6), and I think it works great. We've been able to resolve problems much more quickly than in the past, which has kept the project moving forward at a fair pace. A VERY nice change! 😛

Here there be dragons...,

Steph Brown

• This was a great article. I moved into IT from another field of management fairly recently, and in my other field transparency meant everything within the organization. It is what ensured that things flowed smoothly most of the time and that when things did not flow smoothly that everyone knew why and how to adjust for it ahead of time. I agree that transparency builds trust and trust helps build and effective organization.

---
    Timothy A Wiseman
    SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/

• Good article.

For me one point jumps out. The attendees were quite good at prioritising for themselves!

My experience is that 99.9% of people are reasonable, are willing to give something a fair shot, will support their colleagues.

Unfortunately it is the 0.1% who foul it up for everyone else and you end up having to devote disproportionate effort to put processes in place that penalise the majority just to protect against the jerks.

• Great article, I have already put this in my "Briefcase".

During one of my assignments while I was in the Air Force, I was part of a Quality Assurance team for the base wide network contract (10,000+ clients). We had weekly meetings with our contractor to discuss the status of current and old projects.

I don't think we would have been able to include all the commanders (managers) from the base in these meetings. However, I think it would have been a big benefit to send a status report to them weekly. This would give them a good idea of why their request may not have been our top priority.

I definitely agree with keeping everybody informed of what IT is doing in some form or another. Many non-IT people don't understand what we have to deal with.

Ian.

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
    -- Winston Churchill

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply