IT and Musicians?

• I always felt odd because Jazz and Blues are my mainstay.

makes me feel good to hear you all talk about music in such a way.

Always wanted to learn an instrument, if it weren't for other interests I may have tried by now.

Happy Sailing.

-- Optimist with experience and still learning

• I was in a band first for five years tyring to be a musician, it didn't work out but everyone in the band bar one now work in IT and have computer degrees, that's four of us! It was a late eighties/early nineties psychadelic punk band, we played with people like Spacemen 3, Mudhoney, Gaye Bykers on Acid, Telescopes, Terminal Cheesecake etc. It was that sort of music if any of you had heard of any of these.

It was fun, wish I had made it but now my hobby is Chinese Punk bands, I set up a record label and released a couple of Chinese bands and one French band, one of them, Carsick Cars supported Dinosaur Jr last week in London and Sonic Youth last year in London, I could go on for ever about it...

Buxton

• Buxton69 (5/21/2008)

I was in a band first for five years tyring to be a musician, it didn't work out but everyone in the band bar one now work in IT and have computer degrees, that's four of us! It was a late eighties/early nineties psychadelic punk band, we played with people like Spacemen 3, Mudhoney, Gaye Bykers on Acid, Telescopes, Terminal Cheesecake etc. It was that sort of music if any of you had heard of any of these.

It was fun, wish I had made it but now my hobby is Chinese Punk bands, I set up a record label and released a couple of Chinese bands and one French band, one of them, Carsick Cars supported Dinosaur Jr last week in London and Sonic Youth last year in London, I could go on for ever about it...

Buxton

I think I understand now how my users feel if ever I lapse into techie jargon. I understood every word of that post, but the sum of them made very little sense to me :ermm:

No disrespect, incidentally, Buxton, just that I suspect I'm showing my age; I didn't come even close to recognising any of those band names. Seems I'm starting to sound like my parents used to....

Semper in excretia, suus solum profundum variat

• LOL, even at the time the bands I was into were not mainstream (Although Sonic Youth are still going and are sort of famous now), most people I come accross who are the same age as me, late 30's, haven't heard of these bands but it's always the people you least suspect who have. 😎

• I have to agree with this. I think there are basically two factors that play into this. One, music is basically a mathematical language that you use to create something with. As is true with computer programming. Secondly, most musicians enjoy the challenge of working something out... working on an arrangement or creating one. The same can be said about most computer programmers.

I've been a musician for over 40 years and a computer programmer for over 25 years. I truly enjoy both. But, I have to admit that music is my passion. I have my BA in Music as a performance major.

• I strongly agree with this opinion, after reading this article I asked to to some of my team members and all of them play guitar (mainly), and sax, and... all of us like to play Guitar Hero!!! YEAH!

IT rocks!!

Regards

__

Joe

• Forgot to mention, that for those who would like to have both IT and music together, you should try play Frets On Fire, this is the freeware version of Guitar Hero video game, but played with the Keyboard of your PC, more info @ http://fretsonfire.sourceforge.net/

__

Joe

• I play the Ukulele when programs are compiling or a long query is going on. (strangely enough, I seem to be able to avoid being required to be in open-office areas.) A soprano uke fits easily into a draw, and I can have it out and playing 'Lulu's back in town' or 'me and Nelly shiver like a jelly', in no time. It is an excellent way of timing things. The bootup-time for SSMS, for example, is worth up to ten bars of 'There's a body on the line'.

Oddly, ever since I started the habit, several years ago, the compilation time for applications has stayed pretty constant. The old programmers used to say that compilation time was usually the time taken to roll a ciggie. (cigarette) Alas, now in these politically appropriate times, this aint allowed any more, but I reckon that this is equivalent to the time taken to play a verse of 'Every single little tingle of my heart' which means that we haven't made much progress since the sixties, despite Dual processors and fancy operating systems. (I don't play 'stairway to heaven': Who wants a soprano uke broken over your head?)

Best wishes,
    Phil Factor

Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 82 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply