Issues with finding MIN value in join.

• I have three tables [contractor], [estimate], [contract]. Here is what I have so far:

SELECT [Contract].ProjNumber, [Contract].Description, [Contractor].[Name], [Contractor].City,

MIN([Estimate].Estimate) as "Lowest Estimate"

FROM Contractor INNER JOIN

[Estimate] ON Contractor.ConNumber = [Estimate].ConNumber INNER JOIN

[Contract] ON Estimate.ProjNumber = [Contract].ProjNumber

GROUP BY

[Contract].ProjNumber, [Contract].Description, Contractor.[Name], Contractor.City

--SUBquery

SELECT Estimate.ProjNumber, MIN([Estimate].Estimate) as "Lowest Estimate"

FROM Estimate

GROUP BY Estimate.ProjNumber

HAVING MIN(Estimate.Estimate) > 1;

Now I can put the subquery in the where clause but all I get is the lowest overall estimate in the table and I need the lowest estimate for each contract.

• tripower (4/23/2010)

I have three tables [contractor], [estimate], [contract]. Here is what I have so far:

SELECT [Contract].ProjNumber, [Contract].Description, [Contractor].[Name], [Contractor].City,

MIN([Estimate].Estimate) as "Lowest Estimate"

GROUP BY

[Contract].ProjNumber, [Contract].Description, Contractor.[Name], Contractor.City

--SUBquery

SELECT Estimate.ProjNumber, MIN([Estimate].Estimate) as "Lowest Estimate"

FROM Estimate

GROUP BY Estimate.ProjNumber

HAVING MIN(Estimate.Estimate) > 1;

Now I can put the subquery in the where clause but all I get is the lowest overall estimate in the table and I need the lowest estimate for each contract.

You can change the JOIN criteria something like this:

SELECT...

[Estimate] ON Contractor.ConNumber = [Estimate].ConNumber

and [Estimate].Estimate = (SELECT MIN(e.Estimate)

FROM [Estimate] e

WHERE e.ConNumber = Contractor.ConNumber

GROUP BY e.ProjNumber)

INNER JOIN...

Although, you might get better performance by using TOP 1 and an ORDER BY in the sub-select instead of an aggregate. It kind of depends on your indexing. You can also achieve the same effect using ROW_NUMBER() and on small data sets, it frequently performs even better than TOP, but it tails off as the data set sizes increase.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• To get faster response always put sample data with table/index definitions

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• Grant Fritchey (4/23/2010)

SELECT...

FROM [Estimate] e

GROUP BY e.ProjNumber)

INNER JOIN...

Although, you might get better performance by using TOP 1 and an ORDER BY in the sub-select instead of an aggregate. It kind of depends on your indexing. You can also achieve the same effect using ROW_NUMBER() and on small data sets, it frequently performs even better than TOP, but it tails off as the data set sizes increase.

That doesn't bring back only the lowest bid. It brings back all records from the estimate table.

• tripower (4/23/2010)

Grant Fritchey (4/23/2010)

SELECT...

FROM [Estimate] e

GROUP BY e.ProjNumber)

INNER JOIN...

That doesn't bring back only the lowest bid. It brings back all records from the estimate table.

You might need to adjust the WHERE clause but we use this type of query all the time to exactly what you're doing except we're going after the highest version number for a given value as opposed to the lowest number for a given value. The logic works.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• I don't know what to say it is bringing back all of the estimates.

• tripower (4/23/2010)

I don't know what to say it is bringing back all of the estimates.

I'm not arguing, at all. I believe you.

You might try adjusting the WHERE cluase in the sub-select. I think I might have got it wrong. Instead of using the ConNumber, maybe you need to use the ProjNumber.

Like I say, the logic should work. You just have to adjust it to pull the data back in your system. Since I don't have your structure or data, I can't test, all I can do is make some suggestions based on the information provided.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Bump.

• Something like this ?

MIN([Estimate].Estimate) OVER(PARTITION BY Estimate.ProjNumber) as "Lowest Estimate"

GROUP BY

* Noel

• Since we're having troubles helping you out, I'd like to suggest that you provide us with the CREATE TABLE statements for your tables, INSERT statements for some sample data, and your expected results based upon the sample data that you provided. For information of how to easily do this, please read the article from the first link in my signature. Help us help you by providing this information in a way that makes it easy for us to just cut-and-paste it into SSMS and figure out what needs to be done.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply