Issues with Active/Active sql failover cluster

• Hi All

I've made an active/"active" cluster but it's not really active active. The cluster is based on shared storage. I'm using the same shared storage for both instances.

I had one instance installed and it worked fine.

After I installed the second instance, it (the second) works fine and the first one is not starting.

All TCP/UDP ports are enabled on all nodes.

Currently I'm checking the Protocols setups but seems that I cannot find out the problem.

The error in the event log is "SQL Server could not spawn FRunCommunicationsManager thread."

Regards

Igor Micev,My blog: www.igormicev.com

• I'm configuring only IPAll in the Protocols for the two instances:

Instance2 (named instance):

TCP dynamic port 50851 (changes on restart)

TCP port 50851

Instance2 (MSSQLSERVER):

TCP dynamic port 50852

TCP port 50852

cannot start the service...

For all other IPn, I have blank for TCP and TCP dynamic port.

I also tried with 1433 and 1434. I'm stopping the named instance and try to start the default instance (MSSQLSERVER) but still cannot.

Let me know if you need some more info

• I also tried with 1433 and 1434. I'm stopping the named instance and try to start the default instance (MSSQLSERVER) but still cannot.

Let me know if you need some more info

Check the SQL Server error log for the default instance, or whichever one you can't start. The last error log would be named ERRORLOG with no file extension. Make sure to look through the file for the correct instance -server\instance name gets log at the beginning of the startup process if it gets that far.

The log should be in Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\YourInstance\MSSQL\Log\ERRORLOG

Sue

• Can you list out the cluster resources, use this powershell command

Get-ClusterResource

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Hello All,

Thanks for your replies.

I've resolved the issue by removing the default instance and installing a new one - named one.

Additionally I'd missed something in the configuration with the default instance.

Now it's fine. Thanks for your efforts again.

Regards

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply