Issues upgrading from 2008 to 2012

• We are testing an upgrade from 2008 to 2012 users are hitting some issues in testing that are out of my wheelhouse. Wonder if anyone would have any suggestions?

Thank you for following up. However, the test for SSIS packages is very difficult, please advise.

1, To be able to do any SSIS test, I have to modify the connection to the new server knet-ir4, which need be done in Visual Studio.

However, all 3 versions of Visual Studio in IR4 -- 2008, 2010, and 2012 are not completed version.

--Visual Studio  2012 can open SSIS packages, but can not open the user defined library written in VB.

--Visual Studio  2008 can access VB library, but can not open SSIS packages.

So, I can not modify the packages on the IR4 server.

2. As current packages are in Visual Studio 2008, I'm trying to use the Visual Studio  2008 on my desktop to update the connection. So far, it seems work. So, I'm half way to complete the connection change in 2008 version.

3. For test purpose, I load some of the packages into IR4 SSIS, and run successfully. However, I found that the SSIS service in IR4 is 2008 version , not 2012. I'm confused why IR4 has the SQL server 2012 with SSIS 2008?

I checked Local Service, and it shows SSIS 11.0 stopped.

• First question, as it's not something I've heard of in terms of SQL Server: What is "IR4"? A Google of "IR4" SQL Server lead me to this very topic, so I'm guessing that this is something you have but haven't elaborated on; making this impossible to provide answers on a bespoke process you have.

In terms of Visual Studio, to develop packages for SQL Server 2012 you need to use SSDT. SSDT is available on VS 2010-2019 and all of them are compatible with SSIS 2012, apart from versions 15.8.1 and 15.8.2 of SSDT 2017, where Microsoft foolishly removed it (it was added back in 15.9.0). Personally I use Visual Studio 2017, but I'm still running SSDT 15.8.0 because the the prior mentioned release notes.

You can't use BIDS for Visual Studio 2008 to deploy to SQL Server 2012. As you are using 2012 as well, I recommend changing to the project deployment method, using SSISDB; it is a huge improvement on the old package deployment methods. It takes a little bit of getting used to but the benefits are really good.

Finally, I don't really understand your point 3 (maybe because I have no idea what IR4 is). If you have SQL Server 2012 data engine install, and SSIS 2008 installed, then you have 2 different versions; SQL Server 2012 does not come with SSIS 2008 as the 2 are vastly different. This means that you've installed 2 versions of SQL Server on the host machine (this doesn't mean you've installed everything, you might have installed the 2012 data engine and the 2008 SSIS service).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Sorry ignore ir4 internal naming

Thank you for info in the last point should I uninstall everything but 2012 that is on the server

• keanyukas wrote:

Sorry ignore ir4 internal naming Thank you for info in the last point should I uninstall everything but 2012 that is on the server

Depends, you can have 2 instances (or more) on the same host; but if you don't need SSIS 2008 on that host, then I see no point in it being installed.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• I only want 2012 and all the existing stuff they are trying to do work. It is over my head the SSIS and they are driving me crazy lol

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply