Issues running SQL2005 DB engine with databases in SQL2000 compatibility mode?

• I've got a large catch-all DB server running mostly small in-house developed databases and a handful of 3rd party software databases, none of which have certified to upgrade to SQL2K5.  My developers would like me to upgrade this instance and all their little databases to SQL2005 so they can start taking advantage of the new bells & whistles, but I'm wondering about the long-term implications of keeping those 3rd party databases on there in SQL2000 compatibility mode...

Obviously, I could look into moving them off to another server that will remain SQL2000 for a bit longer, but that would be kind of a hassle with one in particular.  I've tested each one running like this with no problems (linked servers, logins, DTS/SSIS all seem OK), but I'm wondering if anyone else has done this or considered doing this and has run into any gotchas or issues?

Thanks!

• If your databases are 100% MS compliant, the only issues that I have encountered so far is that the bells and whistles are not avaialble to those specific databases. The other db's that are running in 9.0 compatibility mode aren't affected by the presence of 8.0 compatible databases being on the server.

If the databases are using undocumented stored procedures, such as xp_execresultset, then you will have to rewrite cetain things. There were a number of popular undocumented stored procedures that were removed in SQL 2005.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• Cool...  thanks Robert.  So far so good.

Anyone else out there with experiences with this they're willing to share?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply