Issues/fixes I would like to see

• Yeah, it's time. We've debated about the thread name taking you there, but that's not what many people want. Plenty see something and want to read through the thread. The "In" is for the forum, so you know where the question was posted. The time is really the only place in the UI to do this

• I see that now, just wasn't something I thought to do.  I think that was just an information piece on the old site.  And it doesn't stand out as 'hey click on me for the latest'.  Trying to adapt. 😉

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• It's not great UI. I agree and am not sure what to click here. It's mostly for advanced users, as beginners read the whole thread. They're not in and out. Notifications get people to the post, so I'm torn here on what's best.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Yeah, it's time. We've debated about the thread name taking you there, but that's not what many people want. Plenty see something and want to read through the thread. The "In" is for the forum, so you know where the question was posted. The time is really the only place in the UI to do this

Personally I think time is the one that makes sense here. The username should really link to the user's profile page (that makes sense), and the forum name to the forum. That only leaves the time and the name of the topic; and it doesn't make sense for the topic to link to the latest reply.

Some forums I've used have a little icon after the time instead (one I frequent often uses this image lastpost-right) but the time makes more sense that any of the other options.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Once we settle more, I'll look at icons or other designs. I like the idea of just adding verbiage below the title (first post, last post)

• I like the idea of a 'First Post' and a 'Last Post' button/icon.  Show the date after the 'Last Post'.

For me I don't need to know what it is 'IN'.

I miss the little preview window that would come up when you hovered over the topic title, I think it showed a little more than what's under the title now.  Just a cleaner look, IMHO.

• While the 'Replies Created' looks a little cleaner without seeing my full reply, I don't know if it is any better, see attached.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

• Today I went under 'Forums' to 'Most Popular', attached is what I saw.  Where did the 'Today's Random Word!' go?  It has always been second on this list.  Did the definition of this view change?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

• below86 wrote:

Today I went under 'Forums' to 'Most Popular', attached is what I saw.  Where did the 'Today's Random Word!' go?  It has always been second on this list.  Did the definition of this view change?

What was the definition? I don't remember what the definition used to be but currently, the tooltip for Most Popular says "Most Replies in last 24 hours"

There haven't been any replies to that thread in a few days so it makes sense it doesn't show up.

Sue

• I think it was just a list of those topics with the most replies.  The'Today's Random Word' was #2 on the list, even when it had been a month since the last reply.  Trying to adapt to the new format of this site, makes it hard when they keep changing things.  Is there a section that describes the changes that have 'recently' been added(changes to the SSC site not a post)?

• Sounds like it used to be Most posts without the time filtered to last 24 hours. Steve used to have some of that in his status reports but he's being a slacker now 🙂

I think it's hard for SSC too as people request changes, then others don't like it. It's hard to please everyone and the site was badly outdated so changes really had to happen. I think they have been trying to do whatever they can to accommodate as many people as they can but I doubt anyone could come up with a site where everyone was happy. Some changes I like, some I don't. But frequent changes to a web site in general seems to be a lot more common as the demand for new or improved features drives things more today. It is what it is.

Sue

• I have been slacking. Out of the country since end of May, so a little out of sorts. Work a day, off a few days, hard to keep track of things.

I don't think the definition should have changed, but I'll check.

• We did used to have a "most replies" item in the list. Could this be something you used? Or maybe we never had the most popular working?

• I was using that view to look at the replies that have been made to the 'today's Random word' and the 'Are the posted questions getting worse' threads.  This was just a 'short cut' I was using to get to these if they weren't on the first screen of the 'active threads'.

• below86 wrote:

While the 'Replies Created' looks a little cleaner without seeing my full reply, I don't know if it is any better, see attached.

This is intended to give you a quick look, as we're rendering the items separately from the forum code. You should be able to click through to see the post. This isn't intended to replace the forums.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply