Issues Creating Availability Group

• I'm working to create an availability group however I'm running into the following issue:

Failed to create, join or add replica to availability group 'MyAgName', because node 'NewServer' is a possible owner for both replica 'NewServer' and 'ClusterInstance1'. If one replica is failover cluster instance, remove the overlapped node from its possible owners and try again. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 19405)

I have a current Clustered Failover Instance (ClusterInstance1) and I'm trying to create a new Availability group on this instance with a replica on a standalone machine(NewServer).  We will be using the AG to failover/upgrade the ClusterInstnace1 instance from SQL 2016 to 2019 and also perform a hardware upgrade at the same time.

current:

ClusterInstance1 - SQL 2016 able to run on Server1 or Server2 (windows 2016).

NewServer - SQL 2019, Windows 2019.

NewServer was successfully added to the Cluster as a new Node.

The NewServer SQL instance was enabled for availability group access.

Everythign was going well.

When I attempted to add the AG, the above error was thrown.

I checked sys.dm_os_cluster_nodes and saw both the Server1, Server2 and NewServer, so I updated the cluster resource with "Set-ClusterOwnerNode" to only be Server1 and Server2.  This shows correct from the cluster side, however dm_os_cluster_nodes still shows all of the nodes, even after a service restart, failover and machine reboot.

I'm assuming this is the issue.  Any idea how I can force the SQL instance to update to the correct owner list?

Thanks,

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• This issue was resolved.  While the Role was configured to only be owned by certain servers, the FCI inside the Role also needed to have it's resolution is described here: https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/4967/fixing-error-19405-when-configuring-sql-server-availability-groups/

Thanks,

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply