Issue with left join

• I have a select statement that

selects studentid, studentjoiningdate, studentchargedhours, case when std.studentjoiningdate=.H.Date then std.studentchargedhours else 0 end

from student std left join dbo.state st on st.stateid = std.state

where std.studentid = '3456' --- hece it returns here 5 rows for this id.

left join DepartmentDate H on std.State = H.State  -- here it returning all the rows.

there are no rows matching in the DepartmentDate with student table joining date columns. how to avoid these rows to pick only 5 rows

I have to do left join with departmentdate table , there is case statement in select list i am comparing std table joining date with departmentdate table date. if it matches then do some logic..

• Sounds like you want an INNER join to DepartmentDate.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Your SQL is not valid.

Your description of the problem does not make sense.

Kindly provide readily consumable sample data, your expected outcome, and a functioning SQL statement.

• Also, you don't have to have a LEFT JOIN just to make a CASE statement work. The JOIN operation is about matching, your CASE statement is simply saying when to return something and what to return.

That said, although the utility of CASE isn't dependent on the LEFT JOIN or not, if you have tried to join on std.studentjoiningdate=H.date and get no results, then your CASE statement is never going to return anything but 0 either.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply