Issue with Case statement

• i have a table where i have mix and match records under statement column.

i am trying to filter based on case statement.. but unavailable to figure out how to keep declare logic when condition is met.

IINSERT INTO [dbo].[At]

[statement])

Select

CASE

WHEN Statement like '%from%' AND Statement like '%Where%' AND Statement not like '%Join%' THEN

DECLARE @keysValueToSearch NVARCHAR(4000) = 'from'

DECLARE @untilThisCharAppears NVARCHAR(4000) = 'where'

DECLARE @keysValueToSearchPattern NVARCHAR(4000) = '%' + @keysValueToSearch + '%'

SELECT SUBSTRING(Statement,PATINDEX(@keysValueToSearchPattern,Statement) + LEN(@keysValueToSearch),CHARINDEX(@untilThisCharAppears,Statement,

PATINDEX(@keysValueToSearchPattern, Statement) + LEN(@keysValueToSearch)

) -(PATINDEX(@keysValueToSearchPattern, Statement) + LEN(@keysValueToSearch))

) as SqlStatement

WHEN Statement like '%from%' AND Statement not like '%Where%' AND Statement not like '%Join%' THEN

DECLARE @Keyword varchar(200) = 'from'

SELECT SUBSTRING(Statement,charindex(@Keyword,Statement) + LEN(@Keyword), LEN(Statement)) as SqlStatement

WHEN Statement like '%from%' AND Statement like '%Join%'

DECLARE @keysValueToSearches NVARCHAR(4000) = 'from'

DECLARE @untilThisCharAppear NVARCHAR(4000) = 'Join'

DECLARE @keysValueToSearchPattrn NVARCHAR(4000) = '%' + @keysValueToSearches + '%'

SELECT SUBSTRING(Statement,PATINDEX(@keysValueToSearches,Statement) + LEN(@keysValueToSearches),CHARINDEX(@untilThisCharAppear,Statement,

PATINDEX(@keysValueToSearchPattrn, Statement) + LEN(@keysValueToSearches)

) -(PATINDEX(@keysValueToSearchPattrn, Statement) + LEN(@keysValueToSearches))

) as SqlStatement

END

FROM #temp1

• Where is the DDL, sample data, desired results?

Merely providing a mass of unformatted code is not the way to get results, as you well know.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• You cannot include DECLARE inside a SQL statement.

Your SQL should look more like this:

DECLARE @keysValueToSearch NVARCHAR(4000) = 'from'
    DECLARE @untilThisCharAppears NVARCHAR(4000) = 'where'
    DECLARE @keysValueToSearchPattern NVARCHAR(4000) = '%' + @keysValueToSearch + '%'
    DECLARE @Keyword varchar(200) = 'from'
    DECLARE @keysValueToSearches NVARCHAR(4000) = 'from'
    DECLARE @untilThisCharAppear NVARCHAR(4000) = 'Join'
    DECLARE @keysValueToSearchPattrn NVARCHAR(4000) = '%' + @keysValueToSearches + '%'

INSERT INTO [dbo].[At]([statement])
    SELECT CASE
    WHEN Statement like '%from%' AND Statement like '%Where%' AND Statement not like '%Join%'
    THEN SUBSTRING(Statement,
    PATINDEX(@keysValueToSearchPattern,Statement) + LEN(@keysValueToSearch),
    CHARINDEX(@untilThisCharAppears,Statement,PATINDEX(@keysValueToSearchPattern, Statement) + LEN(@keysValueToSearch)) - (PATINDEX(@keysValueToSearchPattern, Statement) + LEN(@keysValueToSearch)))
    WHEN Statement like '%from%' AND Statement not like '%Where%' AND Statement not like '%Join%'
    THEN SUBSTRING(Statement,charindex(@Keyword,Statement) + LEN(@Keyword), LEN(Statement))
    WHEN Statement like '%from%' AND Statement like '%Join%'
    THEN SUBSTRING(Statement,PATINDEX(@keysValueToSearches,Statement) + LEN(@keysValueToSearches),CHARINDEX(@untilThisCharAppear,Statement,PATINDEX(@keysValueToSearchPattrn, Statement) + LEN(@keysValueToSearches)
    ) - (PATINDEX(@keysValueToSearchPattrn, Statement) + LEN(@keysValueToSearches)))
    ELSE 'Invalid'
    END SqlStatement
    FROM #temp1
  • Thank you so much.

• I have a table where I have mix and match records [rows are not records] under "statement" column.

I am trying to filter based on CASE statement [sic: CASE is an expression, not a statement] but unavailable to figure out how to keep declare logic when condition is met [sic: declarations are made in the DDL and never in the DML]

These are three fundamental mistakes that indicate you have no idea how SQL works. But even if you could get this to work creating SQL statements on the fly is an indication that you have no idea what you're doing at the design and programming level and have to fake it with a kludge at run time. Can you get some help from someone who knows what they're doing?

Please post DDL and follow ANSI/ISO standards when asking for help. 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply