Is work just work?

• I think it is all about your own attitude. It is up to each of us to make "work" more than just work,  but a challenge, a fulfillment.  Getting involve in projects and helping others embracing positive and quality work it is so rewarding.

• A lot depends on you personal view point. My son works to support his hobbies. Those are his passion. I work because the work I do is my passion. If I didn't like the specific work I do I would find something else to do since work, for me, needs to part of my personal fulfillment.

• If I won the lottery, I would keep working where I am as long as they would have me (government contracting, funding is everything). If it was 200+ million prize, I would also look at starting a soccer club in Fountain Valley region including a soccer complex, as well as setting up some kind of scholarship program to encourage more women into STEM education and careers.  Of course, the real way to get more women into STEM is to change the prevailing attitudes even down in K-6 where girls are told they don't do math and science as well as boys.  All three of my daughters excelled at math and science even if they didn't end up in a STEM career.

• I rarely ever think about what I would do if I won a multi-million dollar lottery. The probability that I would die in a car crash before the year ends is actually many orders of magnitude higher. Assuming I did win the lottery, I would probably show up to work for a couple of weeks and keep it business as usual, not telling anyone at first about the lottery thing, because when the world learns that you have won the lottery, everything will change whether you like it or not. I would perhaps take more risks during that time, expressing opinions I would not normally do otherwise, and I would take coworkers out for lunch so I could experience it one last time while things are still normal. Of course I would still invite them for lunch after they know I'm a millionaire, but it would not be the same exactly.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Lynn Pettis - Thursday, March 30, 2017 11:06 AM

...  Of course, the real way to get more women into STEM is to change the prevailing attitudes even down in K-6 where girls are told they don't do math and science as well as boys...

In our time I doubt you'd find any hard statistical basis for that narrative, other than anecdotal claims. I see NOTHING in my 12 year old grand daughter's school work or activities that would support that claim. Indeed in some sciences (biological and medical science, for instance) there tend to be more women than men.

[of course, when they get to college and get encouraged to do 'gender studies' instead of real learning, all that constructive encouragement can go to hell]

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• jay-h - Thursday, March 30, 2017 11:58 AM

Lynn Pettis - Thursday, March 30, 2017 11:06 AM

...  Of course, the real way to get more women into STEM is to change the prevailing attitudes even down in K-6 where girls are told they don't do math and science as well as boys...

In our time I doubt you'd find any hard statistical basis for that narrative, other than anecdotal claims. I see NOTHING in my 12 year old grand daughter's school work or activities that would support that claim. Indeed in some sciences (biological and medical science, for instance) there tend to be more women than men.

[of course, when they get to college and get encouraged to do 'gender studies' instead of real learning, all that constructive encouragement can go to hell]

It may not happen at school all the time but could be happening at home.  I constantly hear this from young girls that they are told they can't do math as well as boys.  I have especially heard this from those girls who are struggling in math.  I attribute that actually more related to teachers not working as much with those (boys or girls) that are struggling thinking that their time would best be spent with those who are grasping the concepts.  Again, not all teachers but I have definitely been involved with one teacher who should have been selling used cars or snake oil, not teaching kids.

Given the right encouragement and attention, everyone can do well in any subject.  Well, unless you just don't care that much, which was my problem in some English classes in High School.

• ken.romero - Thursday, March 30, 2017 7:28 AM

fixing one more thing or finishing one more project doesn't add any more value to you as a person.

Ken, whilst I do agree 100% with this sentiment. There is something to be said for spending an extra half hour at the end of the day, or before the end of the day, making tomorrow a bit easier. But saying that this is borne from a lot of flexible hours... So I can, leave at 4 tomorrow (or I could have started at 10am today) knowing the thing I had to get done are done. That does mean on some days I work later, a couple hours past the final whistle.

• For me, the biggest issue is work/life balance.  I love my work, but feel that I don't have enough time to devote to the other things, particular dancing.  I would be perfectly happy working a four day week for a reduced salary.

Several years ago, I tried day trading as a job.  I really enjoyed it, but I was pretty bad at it, because I am too risk-averse.  I was pretty good as long as I was paper trading, but as soon as real money was on the line, I froze up. The one thing that I really enjoyed was freedom.  I was able to set my own hours, and I could work from anywhere, so I did a lot of traveling during that time.  If I were independently wealthy, I would pay off all of my debts and use the rest to go back to day trading in a heartbeat.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• drew.allen - Thursday, March 30, 2017 12:38 PM

For me, the biggest issue is work/life balance.  I love my work, but feel that I don't have enough time to devote to the other things, particular dancing.  I would be perfectly happy working a four day week for a reduced salary.

Several years ago, I tried day trading as a job.  I really enjoyed it, but I was pretty bad at it, because I am too risk-averse.  I was pretty good as long as I was paper trading, but as soon as real money was on the line, I froze up. The one thing that I really enjoyed was freedom.  I was able to set my own hours, and I could work from anywhere, so I did a lot of traveling during that time.  If I were independently wealthy, I would pay off all of my debts and use the rest to go back to day trading in a heartbeat.

Drew

I'd like to try the day trading thing, I just haven't had the time to even try it on paper.  I think the best thing doing it is to not think about the money itself.  This would mean, most likely, that the money you are using isn't money you need for day to day expenses and other necessary expenses.  Sometimes hard to get.

• Lynn Pettis - Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:02 PM

drew.allen - Thursday, March 30, 2017 12:38 PM

For me, the biggest issue is work/life balance.  I love my work, but feel that I don't have enough time to devote to the other things, particular dancing.  I would be perfectly happy working a four day week for a reduced salary.

Drew

I'd like to try the day trading thing, I just haven't had the time to even try it on paper.  I think the best thing doing it is to not think about the money itself.  This would mean, most likely, that the money you are using isn't money you need for day to day expenses and other necessary expenses.  Sometimes hard to get.

Day trading is like flipping residential property, there are a lot more folks wasting time and money doing it than there are folks who are actually netting a profit doing it. However, everyone doing it claims to be making money.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I've reached the conclusion that most people are self motivated and will go beyond the bare minimum for the satisfaction of delivering something that meets their personal ideas of quality.

Therefore employee enthusiasm is there for a manager to lose.

I look forward to the daily challenges of work, the people are great, the company is a good one.  The stuff I build I have enough freedom to exercise my judgement and push for the quality I am happy with.  I don't push for the company, I push for me.

However I have been in a situation where I was totally demotivated both in work and spilling over outside of work.  For the 1st time in my life I truly understood why some people yearn to be retired or consider work to be a necessary evil.  The values of the organisation and the values of my manager were so at odds with mine that it broke me and I had to leave.

I think that if work is just work then (assuming you haven't been broken) are you sufficiently engaged so as not to be detrimental to your colleagues?

• Eric M Russell - Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:46 PM

Lynn Pettis - Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:02 PM

Drew

Day trading is like flipping residential property, there are a lot more folks wasting time and money doing it than there are folks who are actually netting a profit doing it. However, everyone doing it claims to be making money.

I don't remember the exact statistics, but about 89% of people who try day trading lose most of the money invested, another 6% break even or make a small profit, and only about 5% can make a living off of it.  I've switched to swing trading, because I can do it in my spare time and it's less risky, especially with the current method I'm using.  It's also much slower, and I couldn't make a living off of it.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• Jason Mirsky - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 11:33 PM

Find something you really enjoy doing, get good at it, and find a way to make a living doing it. 

I wholly agree with that.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• drew.allen - Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:18 PM

Eric M Russell - Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:46 PM

Lynn Pettis - Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:02 PM

Drew

I don't remember the exact statistics, but about 89% of people who try day trading lose most of the money invested, another 6% break even or make a small profit, and only about 5% can make a living off of it.  I've switched to swing trading, because I can do it in my spare time and it's less risky, especially with the current method I'm using.  It's also much slower, and I couldn't make a living off of it.

Drew

Never heard of swing trading.  May need to look at.

• drew.allen - Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:18 PM

Eric M Russell - Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:46 PM

Drew

With day trading you're competing with automated systems working in millisecond time frames (which is why the 'leap second' is a big issue to them.) Hard to compete in that area.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply