Is this possible?

• I have what for me is a new requirement. The powers that be want to make one of the users of one of our databases be able to read any table in the database, be able to create new ones and have full control over those but NOT over any existing table. There are no views, stored procs or triggers or any other entities other than tables. Al the tables are in DBO schema.

Can this be done?

• Give them a new schema that they can have full control over, but just let them have read access to the DBO schema.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• This had occurred to me, but I am not sure of the level of SQL competence of those who use this database...in other words, is the dot notation gonna throw them. I guess that's what they get though lol...

Thanks!

• All the more reason to wall them off. Almost no real way to keep them from doing really bad stuff, but at least it will be isolated from the other parts of the database. Test your recovery process and practice point in time restores.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply