Is there a way to find out what query/process caused suddent growth of my T-log?

• Is there a way to find out what query/process caused suddent growth of my T-log?  I was not having profiler running during that time.  I need to find out the root cause of sudden t-log growth. 

thanks in advance.

• hi

Have u done any heavy insert/update operations or any index rebuilding operations. There could be many other reasons for increase in log file size .

"Keep Trying"

• thanks for the response.

I have not done any operation on the DB and don't know which application process caused this thats why I am trying to find the cause.

• Check SQL Server Log and Application event log for any information.

Minaz Amin

"More Green More Oxygen !! Plant a tree today"

• there's been a number of threads on this in the last month or so. A transaction log grows when data changes, even on a temporary basis, update stats, index rebuilds are prime examples. If the log grew data changed or was addded ( or deleted ) Lumigent log explorer will allow to analyse the log, there are a couple of other good products, most require purchase before they can be used on user databases.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• Do u have SQL Replication set up. If so any pending replicated transactions can cause Database to not shrink.

Or Has the Recovery mode been changed recently(Simple to Full)?

Or do u have recovery mode set to full and you don't have trasaction log backup running.

Any or combination of any or all of these can cause transaction log to grow significantly.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply