Is there a way to check stored procs affected by change to a view?

• I'm trying to see which stored procs (and functions) might be affected by my having added a column to a view definition, which might cause ambiguity errors.

Is there a way to do this without a manual inspection? sp_recompile / RecompileReferences doesn't quite do it for me, I want to update my code *before* 😉 I get an error at runtime...

Thanks!

• In SSMS right-click on the view and look at 'Dependencies'.

Therefore there must be a series of DMVs or suchlike that provide this information if you want to look at writing code to provide these details.

• schleep (8/4/2016)

I'm trying to see which stored procs (and functions) might be affected by my having added a column to a view definition, which might cause ambiguity errors.

Is there a way to do this without a manual inspection? sp_recompile / RecompileReferences doesn't quite do it for me, I want to update my code *before* 😉 I get an error at runtime...

Thanks!

Using Powershell?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• You can also use Redgate SQL Search to search your entire database for references to the view.

And if you extract your database to a VS database project, you can look for consistency warnings there, before applying any changes anywhere.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Yes, using Powershell. I don't have access to SQL Search or VS.

Getting the dependencies is easy. It's finding out which ones will throw an error the next time they're executed that I want listed.

I guess one way would be to script all the dependent objects out, and execute the script.

• Got my list:

selectdistinct OBJECT_NAME(object_id)

fromsys.all_sql_modules

whereCHARINDEX('dbo.v_enqobj_descriptions', definition) > 0

andCHARINDEX('nNodeType_Id', definition) > 0

andCHARINDEX('.nNodeType_Id', definition) = 0

EDIT: Found sproc that does what I want:

sys.sp_refreshsqlmodule

• The following will query the DDL text of all objects across all databases, returning details on any object that references a keyword you specify. This would include stored procedures, views, functions, triggers, and etc.

Just replace "InsertNameOfViewHere" with whatever keyword you're looking for.

exec sp_msforeachdb

'

use ?;

set lock_timeout 10000;

set deadlock_priority low;

set transaction isolation level read uncommitted;

select db_name() + ''.'' + schema_name(o.schema_id)

+ ''.'' + o.name as object_name, m.object_id, o.modify_date, m.definition

from sys.sql_modules m (nolock)

join sys.objects o (nolock) on o.object_id = m.object_id

where definition like ''%InsertNameOfViewHere%'';

';

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• schleep (8/4/2016)

Yes, using Powershell. I don't have access to SQL Search or VS.

Getting the dependencies is easy. It's finding out which ones will throw an error the next time they're executed that I want listed.

I guess one way would be to script all the dependent objects out, and execute the script.

I don't envy you having to do this work without having access to a bunch of tools which would make it easier. Good luck.

• As I mentioned, I was able to generate my list -- albeit with a few false positives.

Thanks all for taking the time to respond.

PS: Am I missing some obvious reason as to why this functionality would not exist in SQL or SMO?

• If you're wanting to search for object references across multiple mssql instances, then PowerShell could help with that. However, if you're working with database objects within a single instance, then PowerShell and SMO add no value; they're essentially just an abstraction and integration layer. What you're wanting to do is a simple T-SQL statement.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I agree the search is simpler in T-SQL; it's the compiling of the affected code before runtime that I want automated.

Maybe I'm using the wrong word here: I want the affected sprocs parsed.

That would be tedious at best in SQL, likely involving a cursor; in Powershell it would be a one-liner -- if it was possible at all.

• schleep (8/4/2016)

I agree the search is simpler in T-SQL; it's the compiling of the affected code before runtime that I want automated.

Maybe I'm using the wrong word here: I want the affected sprocs parsed.

That would be tedious at best in SQL, likely involving a cursor; in Powershell it would be a one-liner -- if it was possible at all.

If you are talking about 'compiling' in terms of checking for consistency errors before making physical changes, that is what a 'build' of a Visual Studio database solution would give you.

• Here's the code for anyone interested:

clear

$strSrv = "MyServerName"

$objSrv = New-object Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Server $strSrv

$objdb = $objSrv.Databases["MyDBName"]

$ObjectsToCheck = $objdb.StoredProcedures | ?{($_.textbody -like '*MyModifiedObject*')}

$ObjectsToCheck += $objdb.UserDefinedFunctions | ?{($_.textbody -like '*MyModifiedObject*')}

$ObjectsToCheck += $objdb.Views | ?{($_.textbody -like '*MyModifiedObject*')}

$ObjectsToCheck += $objdb.Triggers | ?{($_.textbody -like '*MyModifiedObject*')}

# Add other objects types that you may use.

$ObjectsToRecode = @()

$ObjectsToCheck | % {$objSp = $_; $spName = $_.Name;

try

{

$query = "EXEC sys.sp_refreshsqlmodule '$spName'"

$objdb.ExecuteNonQuery($Query)

}

catch

{

$ObjectsToRecode += $spName

}

}

$ObjectsToRecode

EDIT: Credit where it's due dept.:

http://beyondrelational.com/modules/2/blogs/28/posts/10425/tsql-how-to-revalidaterefreshrecompile-all-stored-procedures-in-a-database.aspx

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply