Is there a version of SQL Server that does automatic SQL tuning?

• Is there a version of SQL Server that does automatic SQL tuning? I am also looking for automatic index creation based on queries executed. I know the query store from SQL Server 2016. I am sure that many things have changed since 2016. Any suggestions?

• Automatic tuning was added in SQL Server 2017 and is available in Azure.  Azure has the automatic index tuning. You can find more information on these in the following documentation:

Automatic tuning

Sue

• Something to note - adding all of the recommended indexes isn't always going to be great for performance.

On a highly OLAP environment, automatic index tuning doesn't sound too bad.  On a highly OLTP environment, that could end up being a huge performance killer.

Having SQL use older execution plans due to increases in execution time of a query feels pretty safe, but I personally would be a bit careful with automatic index work.  You may be introducing a feature that helps a few queries but hurts others a lot more...

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply