Is There a Best?

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Is There a Best?

• Good question Steve. I’ll have to agree with you, today’s best is tomorrows second best.

Although we sometimes think we are on top of a problem, and the perfect solution, the problem may change, and so will your solution.

Coming up with smarter and better ways to solve issues are probably (for me) more important than discovering new methods that have not yet stood the test of time, trialled and tested…you get the picture.

You mentioned HA in the first paragraph – using HA as an example, every DBA feels “his” or “her” HA solution is the best etc…one of those that not everyone will agree upon.

But taking one solution, and working on it to make it faster, easier, more tuneable etc., that is important (to me).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• If you look into the Design Patterns work you will clearly see that there is the constant need to consider applicability. At the risk of sounding like an old codger (some will say that I am), todays society demands a certain amount of immediacy which leads to lazy questions for quick solutions (often at the behest of commercially driven time demands).

Whilst I am often prepared to give plenty of time to discuss an issue I feel very reticent to answer "What is the best..." style of questions. Obviously, questions designed to open debates are a different matter.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• The problem is that terms like "best" and "expert" are extremely relative and worse, totally subjective, and worse still, totally bound to the context of their use.

For example, and as anyone knows, the "best" football team in the world are the New England Patriots and of course they are led by Tom Brady, an "expert" quarterback. I am quite sure that anyone reading this post will totally agree with that.

(yeah, right...) So much for "best" and "expert"... All relative, all basically meaningless except in the context of the bonehead (me in this case) prognosticating the blather.

I tend to agree with what one of our DBAs like to say... "SQL Server is the least worst database system in the world". Having worked with Oracle, DB2 and SQL Server, I find that statement more accurate than any "bestness" measurement.

There's no such thing as dumb questions, only poorly thought-out answers...
  • As has been mentioned, best, at least in this case, is a a subjective term. For me the key is WORKS, not best. If I have a solution that works, I can always improve upon it, but until I have a working solution, there is no shot at getting the best solution.

• Best and worst are both imaginary concepts with no real-world existence. They can only be defined as "best I've seen yet" or "best that I know of in this particular situation", or other mitigating phrases. So, yeah, I have to agree with the editorial.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I agree with the message.

The term 'best practices' implies that the prescription comes from a recognized authority, that the conclusion applies to all situations in all environments. In addition, it implies that the reader should adopt the practice.

This is the opposite of continuous quality improvement. Improvement implies

(1) the wisdom of all is greater than the wisdom of one authority

(2) it may be possible to tweak a good idea to make it even better

(3) the right solution depends on the conditions 'on the ground'

(4) the right solution may not be right at some future time, even in the same setting.

(5) we all need to keep alert, keep thinking, keep adding our insights.

• Best is so relative to be almost meaningless, but, there are grades from worst to best that one can use to help determine a solution. Does best include the least cost? How about the easiest? The best is usually a combination of criteria.

For instance, would anyone truly say they are looking for the worst solution? Where on the scale is one that "works"? Does it barely work now but is the cheapest? Does it work now and into the forseeable future (1 to 2 yrs)? And, do you always want to be going back to improve the one that "works".

As I learn SQL I always try to write the "best" code or implement the "best" policy that I know of right now. Could I learn something tomorrow or next year that could change that? Sure. "The best" is always a sliding scale.

We still have code running from 1989 on a system i box. That is definitely not the best solution anymore and we are looking to replace it. But today, what does "best" mean for the solution we choose? We'll see.

• Good question.. And I wholly agree. Best is very relative to the given circumstances and limits. And what is best at Company A may not even be possible with Company B, and then comes Company C with a whole new problem..

I would think that in this industry as well as all others if there was one best solution you wouldn't need very many really knowledgeable people once it was figured out.. It would just be what was done. But that reality is unlikely to occur in all but the simplest situations and life aint simple.

For all these reasons we need to be as knowledgeable as possible in as wide of an area as possible. So we don't get into the situation where all problems look like they should be solved the same way, which is something I have seen often when someone specializes too much.

CEWII

• Goal: Attach these two boards.

Tool: Hammer, Resource: Screw

Hmm?

Yeah, it will work but not the best. However, if you are out of other options (no nails and all the stores are closed, etc.) and the job must be done you do what you gotta do.

The problem is that all too often we have one tool (hammer in this example) in our box (or several of the same type, i.e. little hammer, medium hammer, really big hammer) and, in this case, see every problem as a nail.

Remember that best is a transient concept with far too many variable elements for reliable and consistent analysis. I like the previous thought of something being the “least worst”. This recognizes the goal and the possibility of improvement while avoiding the claim of finality.

Anyone want to add other words to this? I’m thinking “Ultimate” should be in the same category. We should stick with reality and let the marketers indulge in hyperbole.

Al Kessler
    It's too bad that
    Common Sense Isn't

• blandry (12/2/2009)

... For example, and as anyone knows, the "best" football team in the world are the New England Patriots and of course they are led by Tom Brady, an "expert" quarterback. I am quite sure that anyone reading this post will totally agree with that.

And I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Patriots at their best against the Saints last week. Stayed up late to watch that one.

• Hmmm, hammer and screw. I might have to try that one. Gotta go have another cup of coffee to get ready 😀

• I waited and waited but was disappointed that in such and internationally flavoured forum that no-one responded by saying that if you talk about football outside of the US people tend to assume that you mean Association Football or soccer if you prefer.

In that case, "Go on you Seagulls!!!" (Brighton & Hove Albion FC)

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• al_kessler (12/2/2009)

Goal: Attach these two boards.

Tool: Hammer, Resource: Screw

Hmm?

Yeah, it will work but not the best. However, if you are out of other options (no nails and all the stores are closed, etc.) and the job must be done you do what you gotta do.

The problem is that all too often we have one tool (hammer in this example) in our box (or several of the same type, i.e. little hammer, medium hammer, really big hammer) and, in this case, see every problem as a nail.

Remember that best is a transient concept with far too many variable elements for reliable and consistent analysis. I like the previous thought of something being the “least worst”. This recognizes the goal and the possibility of improvement while avoiding the claim of finality.

Anyone want to add other words to this? I’m thinking “Ultimate” should be in the same category. We should stick with reality and let the marketers indulge in hyperbole.

Okay, it's official. I have a dirty mind that just can't crawl up to the gutter, much less out of it.

I misread the first bit of your post. I saw something about hammering, screwing and nailing two broads together, and thought, "you know, the words 'best' and 'ultimate' may really just have a valid meaning in that context, even if it is a bit mysogynistic".

Freud would have loved that bit of faux dyslexia.

And Steve mentioning he'd have to have a bit of coffee before trying it...

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Ha ha, I just remembered that my signature contains the quote:

"Don't let the good be the enemy of the best."

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply