Is the SQL login distributor_admin required on a SQL server in windows authentication

• Is the SQL login distributor_admin required on a SQL  server when the server is in Windows Authentication Mode ?

--sntiwary

• You can configure the publisher to connect to the distributor with a trusted connection, so that the distributor_Admin passqword is not necesary.

• thanks a lot.

Can you please tell how to  configure the publisher to connect to the distributor if we have windows authentication. since while setup replication even I am using windows authentication It create distributor_admin.

thanks in advance

• I have little doubt as you have mentioned distributor_Admin passqword is not necesary, So what i understood from your reply that distributor_Admin sql login is required  even in windows authentication?

• You can change the configuration from the distributor.

From EM, right click over Replication, Configure Publishing ..., in the publishers Tab, select your publisher and there you can switch between the two options.

Even you are using Windows authentication, the SQL login distributor_admin will still be created.

• thanks a lot so, what I got from your statement that sql login distributor_admin is mandatory for both windows and mixed authentication. pls confirm.

• Can someone confirm that. Is login distributor_admin  is mandatory for remote distribution in windows Authentication. since if distribution is local distributor_admin is not required.

• Even i would like to know the answer for this question. Can someone reply to this?

In Sql Server 2000, when you are using trusted connection for replication (EM --> Replication --> Configure publishing... --> Publishers tab --> select the publication db --> i see it using trusted conn). But i still see distributor_admin account. Do i still need this account. Can i delete it? This is a production server. I would probably audit the account before deleting but any input would be helpful. thanks.

Give me a fish, you feed me for a day! Teach me to fish, you feed me for a life time.

• Yes, this is required even though you are in Mixed Mode authentication.

Means.. if the distribution DB and distributor running in other than publisher it is considered as "Remote Distributor" and it needs the SQL login 'Distributor_Admin' which has created automatically.

Please refer the link.. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms151735.aspx

Regards,

Panthas.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply