Is the graphical flow in SSIS available when production package executes?

• We are very inexperienced at using SSIS, and are trying to evaluate whether to use it for a project.

Here is our simple question: we have seen how you can put together a flow using the graphical tool, and when it executes you get a visual indication of where it succeeded and where it failed so you can trouble-shoot. Is that visual representation only available in development, or will it be something that we can use to trouble-shoot when the package has been put into production? We'd like to be able to see where something hung up and be able to step in and fix it, or even have a user monitor it.

Thanks.

Bob.

• I would suggest that you utilize the event-handler capability of SSIS to capture errors and record the information in a database table for later analysis. There are events you can capture, such as OnError, and system variables to give more info on the problem.

Doing so is not a straightforward proposition though. I have managed to do something like this recently, although I find SSIS not very intuitive to work with.

Look up info on the web, BOL, on how to use Event Handling in SSIS.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply