Is sql server 2008 can be installed on mac notebook

• I bought a new apple mac notebook, can I install the sql server on the apple notebook.

[font="Tahoma"]
    --SQLFRNDZ[/url]
    [/font]

• I've never tried it, so this is pure speculation.

Assuming you're running a Windows OS (such as Win 7) on your Macbook, I don't see why you can't. I don't know enough about Win 7 performance on a Mac, but I'd guess that you might see a performance decrease.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Do any body installed sql server 2008 on apple mac notebook.

[font="Tahoma"]
    --SQLFRNDZ[/url]
    [/font]

• Several presenters at conferences do. They either have it set up as a dual-boot, or run it under a VM. However, it CANNOT be installed on the Mac OS - it must be on the Windows OS.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• So can I install windows with out VM and then install SQL right?

[font="Tahoma"]
    --SQLFRNDZ[/url]
    [/font]

• In a dual-boot situation.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• pavan_srirangam, If your laptop is running OSX there's no way to get MS SQL Server installed natively. As a few people mentioned you'll either have to use something like VMWare, Parallels, or VirtualBox to install Windows virtually then install SQL Server there. That's how I've done it on both my Mac and Linux systems. VirtualBox and I believe VMWare have modes that'll integrate the desktops so your running Windows apps are seamless with your Mac environment. It's clunky and not very practical, but it's the best I think you'll find.

The only alternative is dualbooting with Apple Boot Camp which will allow you to install OSX and Windows concurrently on the same box, but you can only have one running at any given time. I believe Parallels and possibly VMWare running on OSX can boot into Windows installed this way, but I've never done it.

Unfortunately apps like Wine won't handle MS SQL Server, so there's no Windows emulation app that'll do it as best as I know.

I don't think these are the answers your wanting to hear, but that's how it is.

Sam

• I have SQL Express 2008 installed in a WinXP instance under VMWare fusion. FYI, SQL Express 2008 needs XP or better, but 2005 can still run on Win2K. I have 2000, 2005, and 2008 installs all available in my single XP instance. Only one starts automatically.

I restrict TCP/IP connections to the SQL instance to the host VMWare network, which is nice.

If you are like me, doing your "real work" on the Mac, with the need for a SQL server and specific tools on Windows, don't allocate too much memory to your Windows VM.

JB

• Ive done it before with vista on my macbook pro. once windows is installed via bootcame its just the same as installing it on a windows based dell/HP/Lenovo etc etc.

• i am running SQL 2008 developers edition on my MacBook Pro via a Parallels desktop running Windows Xp Pro SP3. it works fine for me.

• are you able to install SQL Server in your mac?

If yes which version did u install ? also 32 bit or 64 bit?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply