IS SQL SERVER 2005 SUPPORT INCREMENTAL BACKUP

• IS SQL SERVER 2005 SUPPORT INCREMENTAL BACKUP

Thanks In Advance

• SQL has full backups, differential backups (changes since last full backup) and log backup (backup of log records since last log backup)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Yes, it does. This type of backup is differential backup. Whenever a differential backup is created, it contains all the updated data since the most recent full backup. When a restore is needed, you just restore the latest full backup and the latest differential backup to bring the database to the status that this differential backup was performed.

• I Want a Backup copy of that portion of data which is change since last any type of backup(full or differential).what is the name of this type backup? may be incremental?

• vbprogrammer1986 (3/3/2010)

I Want a Backup copy of that portion of data which is change since last any type of backup(full or differential).what is the name of this type backup? may be incremental?

SQL Server only has Full, Differential, and Transaction Log backups. It does not have an incremental backup like you are looking for, nor is it needed.

• dbychen (3/3/2010)

Yes, it does. This type of backup is differential backup.

Differential and incremental are not the same thing.

Differential = changes since last full backup

Incremental = changes since last backup (full, differential or incremental)

SQL does not have the incremental backup feature.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • The closest to what you seem to be asking for is the log backup, in that a restore of a log backup will restore changes made since whatever backup you previously restored in the chain of restores (be it full, diff or another log).

However a chain of log backup restores only needs a full backup restore to start from, after that log backups are independent of newer full and differential backups and can restore through them.

So log backups are only truly incremental of the previous log backup, and the term used in SQL is differential rather than incremental and that is what you want.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Thanks, Gail Shaw.

• vbprogrammer1986 (3/3/2010)

I Want a Backup copy of that portion of data which is change since last any type of backup(full or differential).what is the name of this type backup? may be incremental?

In this scenario, I would recommend that you implement a transaction log backup plan. With the backup of your t-logs you will be able to perform a point in time recovery if necessary.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• It Means Log Backup is The Substitute of Incremental backup In SQL server ?

• They're not the same thing, but they are similar.

In basic terms, a log backup is the backup of changes (transactions) since the last backup. An incremental backup does a backup of changes since the last backup for the operating system.

Doing log backups will get you the closest to what you are looking to accomplish.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply