Is SMTP services or IIS is mandatory for Database mail?

• Hi,

I configured Database mail, but mails are not delivering.

Below error:-

The mail could not be sent to the recipients because of the mail server failure. (Sending Mail using Account 4 (2014-03-10T17:21:59). Exception Message: Cannot send mails to mail server. (Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 5.7.1 Client does not have permissions to send as this sender). )

Server dont have SMTP serivce and IIS.

Is SMTP and IIS is mandatory ?

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------

I am Learner -- SQL

• You need outgoing mail server (SMTP) for Database mail.

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• selvakumar.sms (3/11/2014)

Hi,

Server dont have SMTP serivce and IIS.

Is SMTP and IIS is mandatory ?

Thanks

You need to ask your system or network administrator about the SMTP server name configured in your organization . Once you get the SMTP server name you need to configure the database mail with that only.

You DO NOT need IIS at all for configuring the database mail.

P.S. if you are doing it for test purpose (like at your home pc), you can use GMail as the smtp server.

Sujeet Singh

• SMTP Server IP is configured in Database mail Account.but mail is not delivery.Any services i need to enable in the server ?

From other server Database mail is working.

I am Learner -- SQL

• selvakumar.sms (3/12/2014)

SMTP Server IP is configured in Database mail Account.but mail is not delivery.Any services i need to enable in the server ?

From other server Database mail is working.

Ensure you have restarted the SQL Server Agent service after configuring the Database Mail.

Sujeet Singh

• I restarted SQL Server Agent also.But no luck.

I am Learner -- SQL

I restarted SQL Server Agent also.But no luck.

As per your error description it seem that the mail account used to send the mails doesn't have the permission on the SMTP server. Have you checked the permissions for that account on SMTP server? For test purpose & to ensure that it is a permission issue, you can use the email account that is working on the other server (as you say).

Sujeet Singh

• Other server we are using window authentication credentials only.

I am Learner -- SQL

• I think error " The server response was: 5.7.1 Client does not have permissions to send as this sender" is related to a specific mail setting; that is, using account lowell@somedomain.com to send an email as if i was CompanyPresident@somedomain.com.

I've typically set up my mail with an account selected specifically for the dbmail, like sqlalerts@somedomain.com or something.

in the specific emails you are sending, is your FROM email address different from the one that is set up in your dbmail?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• I am using my own mail Id for DBmail account.Test mail itself not going.

I am Learner -- SQL

• visit following link to troubleshoot step by step:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187540(v=sql.105).aspx

HTH

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Other server we are using window authentication credentials only.

Depending on how your exchange/default SMTP server is configured, you may want to try changing your SMTP Authentication mode to "Anonymous authentication", stop/restart sysmail, then send yourself a test message.

______________________________________________________________________________Never argue with an idiot; Theyll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

• I tried various possibilities,no luck...

here my small doubt i need IIS service in Server or i need to enable SMTP service in server ?

IIS and SMTP services are not available in server.

Or i need to enable any other service in server ?

Thanks

I am Learner -- SQL

• Hi, first you have to enable

sp_configure 'Database Mail XPs',1

go

reconfigure

go

And next Go to DBA Server (SSMS Window) > Management > Database Mail > create profile(DBA) > Add SMTP account (Email ID)>

Email Address( smpt email id) > Display Name (DBA) > server name(SMTP serve name/ip address) > Basic authentication > Name (email id) > password (email id password) > next

Send text email

For troubleshoot

telnet smtp server ip and port 25

• selvakumar.sms (3/13/2014)

I tried various possibilities,no luck...

here my small doubt i need IIS service in Server or i need to enable SMTP service in server ?

IIS and SMTP services are not available in server.

Or i need to enable any other service in server ?

Thanks

IIS - No, SMTP - Yes

______________________________________________________________________________Never argue with an idiot; Theyll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply