Is RS a safe business choice?

• Well that's the question.  My company is in the process of releasing a fairly large .NET application within the UK.  Currently we're making use of Crystal Reports, but unfortunately it's not the best solution, for reasons that I won't bore you with

So I'm pinning my job on the fact that Reporting Services can come to the rescue, even despite the fact that it has no native printing functionality.

So the question is - has anyone else here recently adopted Reporting Services as their reports solutions - and if so - have you lived to regret it or does the future look good?

Thanks

Martin.

• Currently we are evaluating it. We have some issues in exporting data to excel. If every thing goes smooth we way deploy for some group of reports.

YY

• "Safe" is always relative when referring to Microsoft software. It is 1.0, so you'll face 1.0 issues. I faced one this morning when RS went into a loop trying to clean up its "log" and was generating 32MB of text log every 4 minutes. Didn't take long to fill up the C: drive on our SQL server.

Even at that, we've chosen to use SQL Reporting Services instead of Crystal for our web-based reporting. The issue was mainly cost.

While some things about RS have been frustrating, I've found ways of working around everything so far. It looks powerful and is likely to stay around. I think Microsoft, like many of us, got a bit tired of the licensing and technical issues with Crystal Reports. Their apparently desire to get into the enterprise business software market makes me think that they needed this to succeed there.

I'm betting on it here too.

• Ahhhh good.  There are others out there with the same reservations. 

Thanks for the replies.  Much appreciated

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply