Is Oracle DBA is nore harder than SQL DBA

• I don't know Oracle at all but I have heard Oracle DBA's saying that working with Oracle (as a DBA) is "harder" and more difficult and more demanding than working with SQL Server. Does this statement have a basis?

Sagar Sonawane
    ** Every DBA has his day!!:cool:

• Maybe Oracle DBA's are not as competent as SQL server DBA's and have to struggle harder just to do their job.

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.

• Or maybe it is just that the tools for it are horrible. The last time I worked with Oracle their query and admin tools were written in java and were hideously slow and painful to work with.

Then the syntax for some of the admin type stuff is very strange. It almost seems like they tried to make some of the commands especially difficult to deal with or remember.

And of course they don't have a great community like SSC to support them either. 😀

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Yeah, have you tried tools for working with Oracle?

After SQL Server you will not like it! In last years they became much better but still far away from SQL ones.

Plus, maintaining the rumours about Oracle "hardness" help to get higher rates...

How to post your question to get the best and quick help[/url]

• Like stated before, I would say Oracle is "harder" to deal with simply because of the lousy tools they provide. PL-SQL is no tougher to learn than T-SQL.

There was a time when Oracle was faster and more reliable than SQL Server; that difference is all but gone with SQL Server 2008 and 2012.

• There are also a lot of configuration settings that can be set by the DBA in Oracle. Knowing what these settings do and how the interact with each other is not trivial and takes time to learn and understand.

Also, there is a definate difference betwee the Oracle and SQL Server communities. While working with Oracle I found it very difficult to find outside help with learning and improving the SQL code I was writing for Oracle. In fact, I got more help here on SSC than I did on Oracle oriented sites.

Oracle gurus in my opinion what to keep thier hard earned knowledge to themselves while the SQL Server gurus are eager and willing to share their knowledge freely with others.

• I believe I can sum up the difficulty with Oracle compared to SQL Server with a quote I once heard an old Mainframer tell me when I started.

"If it's not arcane, and anyone can do it, it's not good enough."

Oracle itself isn't too bad. Keeping the differences straight screws me up and I'm at best a Junior in Oracle, but that's not the problem. Finding support is the problem. Finding a good community that doesn't have a 'You must be this obfuscated to enter' is a problem. Getting a straight answer from Oracle about issues in the software is actually harder than Microsoft. When Oracle teams come out to 'help you', they push you aside, type in some commands you've never heard of and don't exist in documentation when you research after, and pat you on the head as they walk out the door, saying "Call us if you need us."

Oracle's a powerful tool, particularly with RAC. It's good software. It's the 'learning to use it' part that really hoses people up and I don't feel either the primary company nor the rest in the community (with some exceptions, of course) are looking to help people get into it to protect their own interests.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• I have done little in the true Oracle world and have had trouble every time i even think about native Oracle. But I have used one or more database management tools that made Oracle more explainable and easier to use.

I would prefer to not use it, but if I have to I do. Dollar for dollar it is high priced, but it does stuff! And it can do stuff very fast and efficiently. Some I have worked with love it and would use nothing else. Since I respect them and their skills I know it can do the job.

But I am a SQL Server person from the word GO.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Thanks a lot guys for your reply...

Reason I think for oracle's popularity is they are very complicated, most important is platform independency.

As our Microsoft is limited. Even microsoft uses Linux/unix serves for managing their data....

Well if most of the replies considered , why microsoft price is lower than Oracle??

Sagar Sonawane

• I work with Oracle and SQL server databases, the biggest unknown usually comes when the Oracle instance is running on Unix. Unix servers can be difficult to master and that can make managing the Oracle database harder, something to bear in mind.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• and what in terms of costing....

Sagar Sonawane

• It depends only on what part of the products you buy. Oracle has been creative recently in their licensing, but Microsoft wants more of the market so they sell at a lower profit margin per license and maintenance. This is a marketing strategy that appears to have been working. Oracle has been content to run on big iron Unix with horsepower as the primary platform, and pickup whatever smaller implementations they can. Microsoft is the exact opposite. They are selling many to smaller and some to larger.

The basic idea in the strategy is that smaller will grow bigger and the investment in SQL Server will be such that as growth happens clients stay with what they have. The reinvestment is too costly. In this case Microsoft can say that they were there when the small company needed a hand, and will help them grow. But Microsoft also grows in this as well.

MS Sql Server is cheaper depending on the license and the implementation. When you compare the full enterprize internet large user-based licenses you see a better price comparison.

Standard disclaimer applies here - I probably do not know the half of it so take this only as one voice in many.

Have a great day/weekend!

M

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply