maybe this should be added :
If "legacy" is the only reason for the msde to live, migrate the databases to your sqlservers instance.
If the servicelevels of both instances match, and you find the databases can live together, you may want to ask the dev-teams or user-responsible if they aggree the migration of users and databases. Applications will have to connect to the sqlserver-instance.
- Databases can be migrated using sp_detach_db/sp_attach_db
If you're still on sql7, this can only be done if the instances have the same collation settings !
- You can copy the logins using :
select 'exec sp_addlogin ['
, ', @encryptopt=skip_encryption'
- jobs can be scripted and implemented on the sqlserver-instance
- dts packages ... if there aren't to many, maybe migrate them manualy.
- also check alerts, mail-profiles, ...
prepare your action and walk through your checklist.