Is it possible to use the Profiler on a SQL Server 2014 Web/Express edition?

• Hello,

I'm a bit confused as to whether or not it is possible to use the SQL Profiler on the Web/Express edition of SQL Server.

It says "No", but with this foot note:

SQL Server Web, SQL Server Express, SQL Server Express with Tools, and SQL Server Express with Advanced Services can be profiled using SQL Server Standard and SQL Server Enterprise editions.

That led me to do an actual test. I installed SQL Server 2014 Express edition on my workstation, including the SQL Profiler, and was able to connect the profiler to the instance and run traces without any apparent problems.

Maybe this is because I'm running both locally, or perhaps because I also have a full developer version SQL Server 2008 installed? Any hints or answers would be appreciated, I would hate to configure my new (upcoming) server with the Web edition, and then find out that I was unable to use the Profiler (which is the only reason I would choose Standard instead of Web edition).

thanks

iosman

• This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by  iosman123.
  • Yes. You can. Just remember, what you want to run are trace events. The Profiler tool is just for consuming the data generated.

However, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that the better solution here is to use Extended Events. They're more lightweight. There are more of them. They filter much better than trace events at capture. Trace is deprecated, which means it's not going way, but any new functionality of any kind will not get trace events, so Extended Events are the default. And yes, they work on Express too.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Just remember, what you want to run are trace events. The Profiler tool is just for consuming the data generated.

However, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that the better solution here is to use Extended Events. They're more lightweight.

I've found that some people can make the use of Extended Events a real chore for SQL Server just as they frequently do with the Profiler Tool.  As with all else in SQL Server, "It Depends". 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply