Is it possible to use the Data Sources stored in ReportServer DB in BIDS?

• We are new to SSRS in our environment and we haved decided that we will not allow Report Developers to create Data Sources on the Report Server but, we are struggling to figure out how to use Shared Data Sources in our Environment.

Is it possible to use the Data Sources that are stored in the ReportServer DB in BIDS so, the developers have an easier time developing and deploying the reports to the Report Server?

The problem we are having is that since our developers cannot create data sources, we created the data sources on our report server then, saved the .rds on a file server for the developers to use in BIDS. We then discovered the credentials are not actually stored in the .rds files themseleves so whenever our developers create a new project they have to alter the credentials or in most cases they create a new data source to use in their project then the data source is not recognized when they upload the .rdl to the report server.

• I have never been able to accomplish this when usernames and passwords are used. The passwords are stored encrypted elsewhere. If possible you might want to use trusted security when possible.

I admit that I have not done a large amount with RS but haven't been successful at this either..

CEWII

• They can have local ones that they can use with their credentials. When deploying a report, however, ensure that the properties in the reporting project show OverwriteDatasource = False. Then they won't overwrite, but will use datasources named the same for creating. Should work alright.

• Thanks! I stumbled on to that and it's working well.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply