is it possible to use a view in a foreign key relationship?

• The subject line says it all; I want to know if I can use a column from a view in a foreign key relationship in a table?  You see, I want to define a table like this:

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[ClinicalRSSvoucherMatch](

[ClinicalTreatmentType] [smallint] NOT NULL,

[RSSTreatmentType] [smallint] NOT NULL,

[OutcomesTreatmentType] [smallint] NULL,

CONSTRAINT [PK_ClinicalRSSvoucherMatch] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[ClinicalTreatmentType] ASC,

[RSSTreatmentType] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX  = OFF,

STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE  = OFF,

IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF,

ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS  = ON,

ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS  = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY]

and the 3 columns ClinicalTreatmentType, RSSTreatmentType and OutcomesTreatmentType, all come from the same column in another table.  However, they have different meanins depending upon a second column in that other table.  That second column means that if it is a 1, then any value for the first column has to be considered a clinical treatment type column, and so on.  I originally thought I could set up foreign key relationships if I were to create 3 views of the original table filtering it by the second column so that this view could be used to enforce what values could go into each of the 3 columns of the ClinicalRSSVoucherMatch table.  However, it appears now to me that this won't work.  So, how do I do it, please?

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• your problem is that you are overloading one column to mean different things depending on the value in another column.  this is a bad design. 

---------------------------------------
    elsasoft.org

• Bad design or not, it is what we've got, and changing 11 years worth of data, plus all of the associated applications which work against a bad design involving 2 columns of a table, isn't an option.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• you could do an insert,update trigger that fails if your check from the other table is not valid.

A check constraint could also potentially be used.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply