Is it possible to setup Resource Governor based on Always ON availability groups.

• Hi.

I have setup a 3 server setup with two availbility groups with two different listeners where one is suppose to be legacy DB and the other production. I really want to limit the legacy availability group resources and want to use resource governor to limit the resources.

Is this possible?

• What is different about a connection to the instance with the intent to use the legacy group versus the intent to use the production group? A different set of logins or a different application?

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• The difference is the applications, and as i said, i want to give the legacy/test AG less resources since those are not business criticall.

• pelsebubb (1/21/2013)

The difference is the applications, and as i said, i want to give the legacy/test AG less resources since those are not business criticall.

I got that part. I am asking about whether the "Application Name" parameter of the connection strings are set in such a way that you could make the decision of which pool to divert the connection to:

USE master;

SELECT session_id,

program_name

FROM sys.dm_exec_sessions

WHERE program_name IS NOT NULL;

In your classifier function you can determine the program_name for the connection using the built-in APP_NAME() function.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Thanks for the reply.

Seems like the next application im planning to run there (in production) use the following:

59.Net SqlClient Data Provider

I dont know if this is a "standard" app name or not.

• It is, so you probably do not want to key off it unless that is only one of two applications that ever connect to the instance.

You may want to push a request back to the app team to alter their connection strings so you can classify their requests as needed.

--Plato

• opc.three (1/21/2013)

It is, so you probably do not want to key off it unless that is only one of two applications that ever connect to the instance.

You may want to push a request back to the app team to alter their connection strings so you can classify their requests as needed.

Thank you for that information, i will pass it to the app team.

• You're welcome.

--Plato

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply