Is it OK to ask salary range before applying?

• This is after the fact since the OP has already made a decision, but I wanted to add my two bits.

I have been trying to fill a couple DBA positions recently and though my company prefers not to post salaries for jobs they are very willing to tell them to applying candidates. So I would say, ask. Unless the stars are aligned in such a way that salary isn't really a big concern then I would ask before going further. YMMV

• Jeff Moden (8/28/2012)

shannonjk (8/28/2012)

In fact there is a disturbing rate of people who claim to be DBA's who can barely put a select script together or know how to run a backup.

My recent experience with that disturbing rate has been 18 out of 20. Some of them have some seriously inflated resumes according to what I've seen in the interviews. The really bad part about that? I know better but a lot of other folks not quite so fortunate to know good DBAs really get a bad taste in their mouth about what a DBA is and will sometimes just drop the job. Of course, that's really good for accidental DBAs that rise to the occasion.

7 out of 8, here, and the 1's aren't terribly great, either, even as contractors sent by recruiting firms asking far, far too much per hour for their time.

• It is generally taboo to ask a salary range at first interview, it portrays to the prospective employer you're just in it for the cash. Once at a second interview\offer stage if the salary on offer is not sufficient you're under no obligation to take the role. If the company really want you, they'll up the offer.

On the other hand I now work as an independant contractor, the first thing i usually ask for from the agency is job spec and daily rate. It's different though as it's accepted that most contractors are in it purely for the cash 😀

Also be warned, if you go contracting at any point, never discuss rates with the client that is between you and the agency.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• I am on the side of asking early in the process, even before submitting an application. It benefits no one to have either the applicant or the hiring organization spend the time/attention/funds on an obvious mis-match that could be so easily identified.

• When I was job hunting 2 years ago, I made sure to get the salary range before I bothered with even a first interview. They know what they're getting from me, since that's on my resume. I should know what I'm getting from them. And if they think I'm being hired to be excited by the job and won't care about money, they're delusional anyway.

There are polite ways to do this. Cover-letter on the resume, something like, "I find your company interesting, and think I would be a good fit for the job description as-posted. I'll be looking for $X per year salary (overtime exempt), and industry standard benefits. The value I bring to your company, if we find a good fit through the usual interview process, will be commensurate to that or higher. Please let me know if this fits what you are looking for."

I also usually highlit a few points from their "What we need is" list, in the job posting, compared to points on my resume, on the same letter. "I see that you're looking for skill in Underwater Basketweaving and strong experience in Gum-wrapper Origami, and you'll see on my resume that those are two of my strongest points."

Puts the salary request right up front, but makes it polite and respectful, and something they can either leap on (Woah! We would offer twice that!) or laugh at (Yeah, right! We can't offer half that!), so neither of you wastes time on interviews that have no chance at all of going anywhere useful.

On the reverse side of the coin, I find job postings without a salary range similar to "OBO" on the "For Sale By Owner" painted on a car window. Means there's something wrong, and they hope you won't find out before you offer/ask something way out of range.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply