Is it common to use SQL native backups for Sharepoint or is DPM preferred?

• Our Sharepoint admin is saying DPM must be used for SQL backups and restores in order to properly restore a Sharepoint farm. The DBA team isn't familiar with the Sharepoint application side of things and we are in the process of contacting Microsoft for some guidance regarding both Sharepoint and DPM. However I wanted to start by asking the SQL forum for advice on recovering Sharepoint (databases and app servers). I’ve been told that DPM cannot restore to a point-in-time, but I’ve also read comments indicating that it is possible. What is the recommended approach for backing up and restoring Sharepoint farms, especially when it comes to (1) recovering from corruption to a point-in-time, and (2) maintaining a disaster recovery environment.

We have SQL 2012 and Sharepoint 2013. I believe DPM is 2012, but would need to confirm if that is correct.

Thanks

• Knock wood, I never had to restore a Sharepoint farm. But, what we were doing to protect it was point in time backups with the knowledge that we'd have to do a series of restores to a point in time to attempt to recover the Sharepoint data to a viable state. It's not easy. I'm pretty sure Microsoft recommends DPM, but I also know that Microsoft recommends some pretty crazy stuff when it comes to Sharepoint.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply