Is having a lookup table that is for multiple entities a common practice?

• RonKyle - Friday, February 17, 2017 12:26 PM

When I think of a "lookup table", it's usually not something that models a complete entity, but rather just ID and Description.                       

Agreed.  I still don't see what is gained by overcomplicating things.

And there are the voices of sanity.

• Ed Wagner - Friday, February 17, 2017 12:51 PM

RonKyle - Friday, February 17, 2017 12:26 PM

When I think of a "lookup table", it's usually not something that models a complete entity, but rather just ID and Description.                       

Agreed.  I still don't see what is gained by overcomplicating things.

And there are the voices of sanity.

Agreed.  Unfortunately our lookup table isn't used the way a lookup table should be used.  I'll save the details as it would be embarrassing.  I am just glad I had nothing to do with its design as I would have fought it tooth and nail.

• It's good to see such a solid concensus on this topic. I particularly like Joe's detailed description of some of the problems that the OTLT game can generate. 
    Although it seems common sense that a naval supplies database probably shouldn't have a table some of whose rows are about submarine launchable ICBMs while other rows are about sides of pork and yet others about footwear, it's very nice to have that backed up by a good detailed technical description of some of the problems it would entail.

Tom

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply