Is anyone listening?

• I've just run an SSIS package in an agent job that connects to Oracle and imports from a table into SQL Server.

Last I worked on this, there was an error about client tools missing. Client tools are installed, however. Our resident Oracle girl mucked around a bit and then the test server was down for a day while the data on it was being refreshed.

So today, within the last half hour, I found that the job is running ok.. no more connection error.. so I modified the package (upped the number of rows to import in my query), re-deployed and now I'm getting this error:

ORA-12541: TNS:no listener

Any thoughts or suggestions?

• Ok, I just got an email that the server is down for awhile, so that's why the listener isn't running. Or listening.

😛

• sqlgreg (2/11/2011)

Ok, I just got an email that the server is down for awhile, so that's why the listener isn't running. Or listening./quote]

That certainly explains it 😀

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • 1) Use tnsping to test the listener to verify you can reach Oracle.

tnsping <net service name>

2) Make sure the tnsnames.ora file is configured properly on the server that needs to connect to Oracle.

The Oracle client resolves the net service name according to the naming method that it is configured to use. You use the Oracle Net Configuration Assistant to configure the naming methods to be used by the Oracle client. The Oracle Database adapter supports the Local Naming method for connecting to the Oracle database. This method uses a local file, tnsnames.ora, to resolve the net service name.

Good Luck!

• Really nice post, couldn't have asked for more!!..

• Green, that's good advice, but if you look above, you'll see that I found out the server was down; this was the reason for the error message.

• green8814 (3/4/2011)

2) Make sure the tnsnames.ora file is configured properly on the server that needs to connect to Oracle.

Actually, if you are tnspinging from a client you have to make sure tnsnames.ora file is correctly setup on client side 🙂

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply